•  

Open Club  ·  66 members

New Tech

A quick guide to self driving cars

Barry

Amazing to see how tech is being used to make people lazy. Where is the love of driving cars gone now......!

With all respect of hi-tech sensory world, but autonomous can never replicate real human reaction and still keep the pace. Only thing autonomous is learning now to brake brake and brake on slightest of instant swerve 300 lanes beside, that is not good.

I have an adaptive cruise in Range and as much as I love it for the safety aspect, I hate it and stopped using it now as it brakes more often and 9 out of 10 times for some lame reasons. And in the minimal gap, it needs 50 meters in front of it completely empty.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

In my opinion humans are very advanced when it comes to sensory control and adaption, but too many drivers are either texting, acting emotional, or cannot adjust to the pace of the traffic by driving too fast or too slow. 

How much i love and enjoy driving, i came to the conclusion that technology is currently advancing at a speed that we reached a point where in a few years a computer or self-driving car will be so much better and safer than any human could ever try to be.

Look at the benefits and how many thousands of lives could be spared every year simply due to the fact that a computer does not become tired or distracted.

In the near future i suspect that the majority of the cars will be on AUTO-drive mode during the commute, but you should always have the ability to take the wheel and choose for yourselves if you like to drive your car.

I still remember a family member that was a professional bus driver for 30+ years that didn't want to use GPS systems. When GPS became commercial his daughter bought him his first TOMTOM system and he never looked back and admitted the ease of use in every city or town around the globe. Goes to show how fast the world changes and we all have to adapt and open ourselves up to the technologic evolution.

Edited by Frederic Nuyttens
  • Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Well I wouldn't mind self driving cars for the shitty stuff like long commutes in traffic, or long bland highway drives. Most of todays cars are atleast 80% self drive on highway with adaptive cruise control and lane assist anyways. Add self steering to that and you are 100% auto drive on the highway atleast.

But in busy cities I wouldn't trust it too much. Like commercial jets are 95% "auto drive" nowadays with pilots on hand flying them while take off and landing. Although most can autoland too, rest of the time the pilot is just there to see everything is working as its suppose to.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not averse to the idea of self driving cars. I love the idea of going to a bar, having a few beers, and your car will drop you home again and park itself ready for work in the morning. 

I read an article on BBC news today saying that “normal” people will stop buying normal cars within 10 years. 

Whilst I love the idea of self driving cars, most of my driving has been random bored drives. Picking random roads to see where they go, ending up at the top of a mountain somewhere and enjoying the view. I don’t think this human element can ever be eliminated. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I read an article on BBC news today saying that “normal” people will stop buying normal cars within 10 years. 

They are saying this since the last 10 years for electric cars, hybrid cars, and autonomous cars, but the problem is there 10-year countdown hasn't started yet.

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Whilst I love the idea of self driving cars, most of my driving has been random bored drives. Picking random roads to see where they go, ending up at the top of a mountain somewhere and enjoying the view. I don’t think this human element can ever be eliminated. 

I don't think this is possible in Dubai either unless you got so bored to reach Oman by picking random roads.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use