•  
Advertise here

Automated Parking Tests to Be Introduced in Dubai

Car News

The Smart Yard was first launched in February 2018 at Dubai Driving Center, Al Khail branch in order to automate the parking test and reduce the need for RTA examiners. Towards the end of September, six more smart yards were launched and another three will be operational by the end of October. By the end of this year, all 14 RTA test centers will have smart testing yards according to Abdullah Yousef Al Ali, CEO of RTA's Licensing Agency. 

The Smart Test comprises of a slope test, emergency brake test, parallel parking test, garage parking test, and angle parking test. The test usually completes within 15 minutes and till now more than 6,000 people have taken it. 

Thanks to the use of high-tech cameras and latest technologies, the automated parking tests ensures fairness in results and determines if the applicant has failed or passed.
If you have undertaken the automated parking test, do share your experience with us and provide us with helpful tips as well.

And people will still complain that they fail it. This one bugs me. I’ve seen people fail the driving test 6-7 times and blame everything and everyone but none of them ever admit that maybe they’re just a bad driver. 

1 hour ago, Barry said:

And people will still complain that they fail it. This one bugs me. I’ve seen people fail the driving test 6-7 times and blame everything and everyone but none of them ever admit that maybe they’re just a bad driver. 

True that. 

This usually happens cos everyone thinks since they were killing the accelerator back in their own country for 5 to 10 years they have the divine birthright to get the license here in the first attempt. However, they miss out the most important point here. In this region, you dont pass a driving test cos of the basic fact that you know driving and can shift gears whilst sipping your coffee and texting your mate at the same time. 

Passing a driving test here means learning and understanding whats driving discipline. Anybody can drive but realizing the fact that your stupidity can cause someone's brain go fly out of their windshield is what is important and a must to pass any driving test. 

I think some people just fail cos they don't wanna accept the fact that there are other ppl on road. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jeh said:

Passing a driving test here means learning and understanding whats driving discipline. Anybody can drive but realizing the fact that your stupidity can cause someone's brain go fly out of their windshield is what is important and a must to pass any driving test. 

Totally agree, and after getting their license, they go back to their basics and still kill people with their stupidity and arrogance.

There should be license cancellation for moderate - serious traffic offense, that will keep drivers on their toe all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Very good points @Jeh I fell into the same trap many years ago. Pulling an amazing handbrake turn and making all the girls drop their panties may be cool when you’re 17 but it doesn’t make you a good driver on the road. First time I got my license confiscated in my early 20s for dangerous driving (doing donuts in an empty car park?) I had to resit the test. I failed the first time and I couldn’t believe it. I asked the instructor what went wrong and he told me I was driving how I wanted to drive, not how they wanted me to drive. It’s hard to swallow your pride but that’s what it takes to get a license. Smooth, controlled, constantly aware, not showing off that oh I know this, watch me drift the trade centre roundabout. If everyone drove like RTA wanted them to, there would be zero accidents. Who the heck is stupid enough to crash on a straight road but I still see it every day. 

@Gaurav I agree with you too. A 60 or 90 driving ban for things that cause accidents like using the phone, swerving, not indicating, random braking etc would hit people and maybe make them realise. Especially if you live in somewhere like Warqaa or IMPZ where it can take 2 hours to reach downtown Dubai by public transport. I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again, id love to see more unmarked patrols on the road. I was in a rush home tonight so I took a cab up hessa street. A white Tahoe cut across 3 lanes of traffic without even indicating and almost hit our cab then narrowly avoided the steel barrier in the middle of the turn they were trying to make. When I looked in the back, there were 2 women passing a small baby between them, oblivious as heck to the world outside. This is the kind of BS that needs to stop but why will they stop when there is no chance of getting caught. 

• Like (+1) 2

The problem with this kind of driving behavior is that the idiots don't learn until they are in a crash, but another problem is that the crashes these idiots cause often kill innocent road users.

In my opinion,driver education should be made a compulsory subject in high schools, and if you fail the exam, you can't get a licence for at least 10 years. If you pass the exam after 10 years, you should only get a restricted licence (like in New Zealand), for at least 2 years, but with the provision that if you are caught for reckless driving, drinking and driving, or texting while driving during this time, you lose the restricted licence, and can never retest for a licence- ever again.

Moreover, if you have a full licence and behave like an idiot, you should lose your licence for life.   

Or maybe fines linked with salary percentage, will teach big boys lesson equally as for guy earning 50K per month, 1-2k for fine is nothing and he will budget this as misc expense every month.

However if same become 10-20k then it will pinch his pocket and he will soon start respecting road and drivers

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.