•  
Advertise here

Shifting to Oman- general queries

Osman

Hello all,

As title suggests, I am shifting to Oman for new job from Sharjah.

Have few queries:

• Can I transfer my UAE car (Sharjah no. plate) to Oman? if yes, then whats the procedure?
  • For Oman license, I will have to surrender my UAE license? if yes, what if in future I come back to UAE as a residnet? I will have to go through driving tests again for UAE license?
  • I have Saudi license as well (still not expired), can I have Oman license based on Saudi license?
  • How much is for 2BHK rent in muscat? (just general figure)
  • I just put a random search for cars on OLX in muscat, there were not much options in different price brackets, as I could see much more nos of cars with same price range on dubbizle dubai? is it true that there are not much options in muscat? (its just my initial feel)

waiting for response....

Hi there,

i have been there for 4 years and have enjoyed every part of it life is slow but peaceful.

will share my thoughts as to the details i know but do check as new rules come everyday.

You can transfer your vehicle from Uae to Oman once you obtain your Omani licence.

You need to apply for fresh licence once you are there and no conversion of licence is done now a days.

You can still have 3 licences with you of all Gcc but the country you drive that licence is counted as that is linked to your Oman Id card.

Regarding the rent its actually cheaper than Uae but depends which area in Oman your are placed.

rates vary as per area of residence and distance of commute from the city.

Cars are cheaper and lots of choice in uae as compared to Oman, if you are lucky you can sell your car too for a good price in Oman.

All the best for a much simpler and slower life in Oman as compared to Uae which is fast.

you will end up having more time on your hands and enjoy the mountainous stretch.

only remember one thing if you wanna drive down to uae after getting your visa be sure you get the right designation on the visa which allows you to drive in and out of the country without getting stuck and returned back from the border.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Ren13 said:

Cars are cheaper and lots of choice in uae as compared to Oman, if you are lucky you can sell your car too for a good price in Oman.

This is true.

Omanis prefer buying used cars from UAE rather than Oman. As the locals know how the locals drive in Oman :D 

On 10/10/2018 at 10:38 PM, Ren13 said:

Hi there,

i have been there for 4 years and have enjoyed every part of it life is slow but peaceful.

will share my thoughts as to the details i know but do check as new rules come everyday.

You can transfer your vehicle from Uae to Oman once you obtain your Omani licence.

You need to apply for fresh licence once you are there and no conversion of licence is done now a days.

You can still have 3 licences with you of all Gcc but the country you drive that licence is counted as that is linked to your Oman Id card.

Regarding the rent its actually cheaper than Uae but depends which area in Oman your are placed.

rates vary as per area of residence and distance of commute from the city.

All the best for a much simpler and slower life in Oman as compared to Uae which is fast.

you will end up having more time on your hands and enjoy the mountainous stretch.

only remember one thing if you wanna drive down to uae after getting your visa be sure you get the right designation on the visa which allows you to drive in and out of the country without getting stuck and returned back from the border.

thank you very much for your reply.

tell me one more thing, I will have to convert UAE dirham to OMR. Should I buy OMR from UAE, or convert dirham to OMR in oman. which one would be more beneficial?