•  
Advertise here

Self-Service Refueling Service across the Northern Emirates

Car News

Starting next week, you will have to refuel your car all by yourself or pay extra to have an attendant fill up your fuel tank. Adnoc has deployed a pay to pump service across the Northern Emirates and residents of Sharjah, Ras Al Khaimah, Fujairah, Umm Al Quwain, and Ajman will now be enjoying the free self-service system.

For those who wish to have their fuel tank filled by an attendant will be required to pay a fee of AED 10. Moreover, in order to remove the need of using cash or cards at the pump, Adnoc will distribute 100,000 smart tags which will allow customers to pay for the fuel using a prepaid smart wallet.

For an extra AED 10 fee, customers will also receive a windscreen wash, tire pressure check, and rewards. 

Tell us your thoughts regarding this new self-refueling service and let us know if you find it convenient or whether you prefer the traditional service?

This is a good case of more comfort for the rich.

Strategically, this is a smart move as it ensures that those who can afford to pay extra don't have much waiting time to fill their tank as all the rush would be on the free service side. While I personally don't mind getting out and filling petrol in my own vehicle as it will also save me some money, but  with longer queues on the self service line and with individuals making mistakes it would take longer for a  car to fill up in the self service line. Finally you would get frustrated and move to the paid service.

Also, what is the case for the elderly people?

Guess need to fill petrol at the other gas stations.

One finds similar such cases in the free valet parking at some of the malls. The number of valet parking is so high that you are not left with free parking for the general public. Reminds of the quota system in Indian education.

Personally I don’t see the issue with it. I remember attended pumps in Ireland when I was a small kid but it was phased out a long time ago and I always put my own petrol in. Whole big deal out of nothing I think. If you’re too incompetent to fill petrol, you probably shouldn’t be operating something as complicated as a car. 

• Like (+1) 1

That's a nice way to tell people to step out and bloody switch off their cars as when they feel the heat outside they will start switching off the engine while filling up. On the contrary, adding tire pressure paid service is very sensible move to help women or uneducated people on how to check tire pressure and save their tires bursting on highways, just pay 10 dh voila.

Cars My passion :mrgreen:  :ugeek:

If you like my above post, please press Like / Thanks on right side to help me increase my rating

Not a big deal, since Adnoc rolled this out 3 months ago here in RAK. Been filling my own car since, because of this usually less longer cues and you are done faster as you don't have to wait for the attendant to come and remove the nozzle and close the cap long after you are done, because he is busy. 

But the moot point of all of this is. You still have to wait for the attendant to come and beep you in before you start filling. Because the pump doesnt work until the guy swipes his ID on the pump.Maybe this will change now? Although I doubt it.

So its still not 100% self service and attendant free like in other countries.

if you have to pay in cash you need the attendant to collect the cash and swipe his card, else if you pay by card then you can do completely by yourself.

I filled up in UAQ today and the premium service line was completely empty while the self service had a long queue.

Edited by skumar83

they are not equipped with the right machinery till now and they have jumped to making money already without it...these self service pumps should have a safety mechanism in it so when the nozzle in actually in the tank then only to pump..

those place which provide such services in other countries have many such systems in place

you know right now its all giggles and shits until someone actually shits then giggles...:-D

i faced this incident recently that someone before me had set the nozzle in full speed mode and placed it back so when my turn came i payed the attendant and as soon as i picked the nozzle out of the despenser before i turned to put it in it was just shooting fuel at full speed....