•  
Advertise here

How to use Nissan Patrol for desert drives?

Hi! I wanted to know which setting to use in a Nissan Patrol Y62 (2016 MY) for desert drives: 4H, 4LO or Auto.

Sand mode will be chosen form the terrain select system.

Also shall I disable TCS and activate the 4X4 locks.   

image.jpeg.d05ec57af41ebf1e0cc81da5d121e9cb.jpeg

Your advice will be valuable and of great help!

Thank You

Use 4H for regular desert driving. 4L is a last resort for when you get stuck. 

Disable TCS. No need to use locks unless you’re stuck. 

Join the Carnity off road club for the best off road advice,

https://carnity.com/clubs/off-road-club

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks, Barry, you have summed up very nice and yes Kamran when you join the "Absolute Newbie" drive we do the quite comprehensive brief for 30-45 minutes covering on all basics of offroad and your 4x4 vehicle familiarization session.

Every 4x4 car should always drive in HIGH gear first and if you face any strong resistance or stuck then only engage LO gear. And yes no need to listen to the general public who swear that LO is the best, as every car is different and you need to explore all options step by step than believing people with closed eyes. 90% offroad drive should be in HIGH gear and 10% in LO when you are stuck or needed to counter some impossible situation or going steep downhill.

Disabling Traction control is mandatory for sand driving, but not for rock climbing or crawling. In sand, the vehicle should able to spin wheels slightly to gain the required momentum and traction control prevents that a lot.

You should also google and find out on how to disable your airbag (SRS) while offroading as in some modern car they deploy with a sudden change of vehicle angle, little proactively but it ends up with an expensive repair without having an accident or insurance coverage.

Locking front / rear differential is only needed when you are stuck and you should never drive while front/rear diff lock is engaged. However, in a sticky situation or in a long hill climb you can engage the center diff lock that helps to distribute power equally to front and back without locking the differential gearing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Adding to that forget all the driving aids and modes, learn to drive without them. So if tomorrow you have a car that doesn't have "sand mode" you'll be just fine. 

It's like rear cameras and parking sensors. I know a few people now who cant park or reverse a car if it doesn't have them. Relying too much on automation just makes you lose your own ability and skill.

Very soon we will have people who won't be able to change lanes if the car doesn't have lane assist!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, skumar83 said:

and as an extension you will eventually have people who dont know how to drive because they will have self driving cars...

Well we have today who have driving licenses for decades now and still don't know how to drive. 

Long ago I had a friend Bharat, educated guy, smart, nice job well settled, but couldn't drive for shit. But somehow he had managed to get a license and drove for many many years without ever getting into any sort of accident! 

Someone up above was truly looking out for him.

• Haha (+1) 2

Thanks a lot to all of you the wonderful advise!!!

It has now cleared the confusion. It's always best to listen and apply from the experts!!

Only now to practically test the vehicle and hope I do not goof up in sand!!

• Haha (+1) 1