•  
Advertise here

Scams in Dubai

Barry

Please share scams you know of that happen in Dubai to make other people aware. 

This one one has happened to me at least 4 times. First time I felt bad because I had no cash and couldn’t help. 

A Saudi car pulls up next to you and asks for help. They explain that they have no money to get home. (How did they get here if they have no money?). Another story they use is that their mother is in hospital in Dubai and they need food. It’s basically people from Saudi coming to Dubai, assuming everyone is rich and trying to beg from them, especially white people, because every white person in Dubai is rich right? None of them do normal jobs like mechanic or electrician?

I got wise to this scam the second time. Last time, the Saudi started begging from me in English so I just replied in Irish language telling him random things like I love football and I like milk in my cornflakes and gravy is awesome on fries. He rolled his window up and sped off. These people are a scourge on society and should not be encouraged. Obviously they keep coming because some stupid people keep giving them money. Stop it!

• Like (+1) 2

I fell for this begging stunt the first time. They used to say they have no money for food or for petrol. The next time I got wise and told such people that come with me to a restaurant and I would pay for the food. They would just roll up the windows or walk away.

• Like (+1) 1

This Saudi plate number car scamming is very old one and I'm surprised as it's still continuing, wow.

The first time they approached me in white Lexus LS400 (Saudi plate) sometime in 2012 and said they have no money for food, I asked him to come with me to an adjacent supermarket and buy whatever he wants and he runs away - proven fake.

After that spotted Arabic lady in an abaya, talking very softly in Arabic and then switching to English to convey the message that she needs money for food.

The most dangerous scam and not begging like above is the buying cars with dud cheques by playing it a weekend or my card got blocked bla bla and guy comes in an expensive car like Range or Bentley and issues the company dead cheque for the major amount and little in cash. I think this off lately very well captured by RTA and Dubai Police that they can roll back car ownership in the system in case of fraud within three days - I think.

On the other hand, people selling useless pens and perfume, I do buy them for 10-20 dhs and give their pens back as at least he is making an effort of selling or doing something rather than scamming people. And smile you see on those faces are really genuine and comforting that you have done some good deed for a needy person.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

If I only had a dollar the times I've been approached for the Saudi scam thing. Cant say its the car I drive because Ive been approached on foot even before I got a car. Actually the first time way back in the mid 90s it was a Omani plated car and even then I didn't give him shit. I had a dirham coin in my jeans which I pulled out a said this is all I had if you want it, you can have it. In the 2000s it became Saudi plates plus I was driving a relatively new Land Cruiser and I guess I look like an Arab ( dont ask me even till date grocery guys, cabbies etc etc see me and start talking to me in Arabic!, personally I don't see it nor do I wear Arab garb ) and every so often a Saudi would pull up at the lights, gas station etc etc and start off in a thick Saudi Arabic accent 

Other scams similar Ive been subjected to like a young clean shaven smart guy walks up and says he's here on a visit visa looking for a job and hes exhausted all funds but has an interview in Abu Dhabi and needs to get there, so here take my watch its a blah blah and give me a few 100dhs.

But during a time I used to go every evening to Crowne Plaza on Shk Zayed in the evening to pick up my wife from the office and this chap approached me, offered me some like tiny tiny 2-3 page booklets with religious scripture, I said no thanks but he said they are gifts so not wanting to be disrespectful. I took one. Then he stood there ....waiting. I said what? You said they were gifts. Then he laid on a big sob story blah blah and how he needed money. Said domt have money and returned his booklets.

Then again after a week or so, same guy comes up to me, I told him no again, didnt seem to recognize me. Then again after a week or so same guys comes up to me while I wait. I'm like WTF dude this is the third time now, he was kinda taken off guard. I asked him what's the story man. Then again another sob story, he's here looking for a job etc etc so I asked what is it that you do. I think he thought of what would be a weird profession where no one could help him out and he said he's a florist. Well I said you are in luck there is a florist shop right in Crowne plaza with a help wanted sign, he definitely gave got caught off guard and started making all sorts of stories so I also gave him a piece of my mind. Then he saw he wasnt going to get anything from me, so he asked if he could at least use my mobile phone to call his mum back home. I was like seriously dude! Even after all this your still trying to get something off me. 

Well didnt see him after that time though! 

• Haha (+1) 2

Experienced the Saudi beggar scam both in Saudi and in Dubai. Was caught off-guard both times and gave them some change and told them that's all i had on me. Reminded me back of my days going out to clubs and being ripped off by random dudes threatening me to give cash or get punched in the face. Frustrates me like crazy that people have the nerve to do these things and even get away with it. 

Definitely to be added to the list for Dubai are:

1) These so-called investment / financial advisors pushing you to put your well-earned Dirhams into a funding system with guaranteed returns.... Yeah right....

2) These Bitcoin / TradeFX / scams that you will find on your regular MSN or Yahoo start page...

3)  The people calling you that you won a prize but need to transfer money to with Etisalat or DU prepaid cards.

4) The Nigerian princes.... do they even still exist 🤣 

• Haha (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Good list @Frederic Nuyttens

Now I rem one more scam, where next of kin of a deceased partner of a bank want to transfer funds to your account.

Oh another classic one for car buyers: Listing car for sale at dirt cheap price with the only email, and when you contact they will lure you to transfer the shipping charges only and pay for the car once it arrives in UAE..... really funny and stupid people DO EXIST. Such car images are always having a background of US / Japan remote location.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.