•  
Advertise here

Rant - how much is your salary?

Barry

I would like to say I’m fairly well travelled, I’ve been in a lot of countries. The only place I have ever been where it is acceptable to ask a random person you just met, how much is your salary, is the uae. 

Nowhere else would this be freely discussed or would it be acceptable. Try asking this question to someone in Germany and they would likely tell you to foxtrot Oscar. 

My default answer has become, enough to pay my bills and save a bit.

So why is it acceptable here?

• Haha (+1) 1

People who feel they get less than what they deserve tend to be more open to the extent of telling the exact figure. Not sure if it can be generalised across the entire spectrum from the lower income to the upper income.

Edited by skumar83
  • Like (+1) 1

I know its frowned upon just like asking a woman her age. But honestly if it someone well I know or am friends with. I have no issues with this, excluding random strangers ofcourse.

5 minutes ago, Ren13 said:

Its peoples mentality . They feel the grass is greener on the the other side.

image.jpeg.61e2f3899d5609ad376f807eca3a9f02.jpeg

If you live in Sharjah the grass really is greener on the other side 😂😂😂😊😊

Trust me. My first job in uae I spent 6 weeks sleeping in the back of a Toyota Tundra in a garage. 

@Barry That's what we call life experiences. it makes us better human's as compared to others who live in their comfort zone.

That's why we don't ask others how much is your salary and the others do.

Its our past experience and hardship which helps us have a better future.😉

Image result for life quotes

1 minute ago, Ren13 said:

@Barry That's what we call life experiences. it makes us better human's as compared to others who live in their comfort zone.

That's why we don't ask others how much is your salary and the others do.

Its our past experience and hardship which helps us have a better future.😉

Image result for life quotes

Very true points renwick. I have never talked about this before but I had a high paying job at home. I never thought to save, instead I lived the high life hanging out with millionaires every night. A few bad decisions and I lost my house and ended up sleeping on the streets for 3 months. Things can go wrong faster than you can ever imagine. I got lucky and got a free plane ticket to uae. Once I got here I worked my arse off and never stopped. There is no respite here. There is no chilling at the bus stop. If you mess up here you’re in jail. We aren’t at home now. The tension is real. 

We all make bad decisions in life but its important to fight it out and come strong.Happy to know you were able to do that and come out a winner. Life is not simple as we think it is but it depends on us how we simplify our life. Have read your posts Barry you have great knowledge about cars and your vast experience backing you and happy to connect with you. Thanks to carnity we have the freedom to discuss life along with cars in this group. 🍺Cheers.

• Like (+1) 1

Or it's maybe the other way around, that people who ask your salary has low figures and to cut the conversation people at high salaries reply with half or even a quarter of their salary.

No matter how big or small your salary is, it is never enough due to the life we pull along with that numbers and love to cry thereafter.

At a very early age, I have been jobless in this country for 9 months, and realize the true importance of money and savings + started valuing real friends than the bunch of imposters.

Two of my favorite sayings:

• The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven - John Milton
  • Tough Times Never Last, But Tough People Do!: Robert H. Schuller

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

When it comes to knowing about cars in uae, not many people are interested. It’s all about paying the smallest price. I have always had problems finding work as a mechanic here. It’s like oh, you’re white, sorry we can’t afford you. None of them even asked how much I wanted. I have done low paying jobs in shitty backstreet garages here but it’s hard to get into. The higher end garages have offered me jobs in the office. I’m not an office guy. Fixing cars is my passion.

If I can share some of what I know online and help some people and try to cancel some of my bad karma then I’m happy. 

• Like (+1) 4