•  
Advertise here

OOPS!

desertdude

5358400-0-image-a-13_1540380355217.jpg

Brand new Range Rovers and a Jaguar worth hundreds of thousands of pounds had their roofs torn off after a lorry driver smashed into a rail bridge.

The blunder occurred at 8.30am when the lorry towing the brand new luxury 4x4s, some still in their plastic wrapping, ploughed into a railway bridge in Perthshire

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6311333/amp/Brand-new-Range-Rovers-Jaguar-4x4-roofs-torn-lorry-crashes-bridge.html?fbclid=IwAR0vlvs6b58VlXV3MTPTHpCL4DFbnqFQ08C5Ih2Gk1bCR17FBgg5mp9-HU4

• Sad (0) 1

Salvage cars already come here and these would actually be worth buying and repairing as they are practical new cars with all the important bits still untouched. Still better than the Qatari dealership for Toyota which was selling used repaired as new 0 meter cars. Thankfully they were shutdown for this

I got my first truck driving job when I was 22-23. There was only one company in the area who hired noobs with no experience so that’s where I went. Being the new guy I got sent to all the far away places where nobody else wanted to go. I thought this was great because all I wanted to do was drive. One day I’m driving down one of the roads near the coast and there was one of those arch type bridges over the road. I slowed right down and thought about if I was going to fit through. A voice in my head said feck it, it’ll be ok so I put my foot down. Next thing I hear an almighty crash and the truck stopped dead in the road. I reversed back a few meters and got out to check. The whole top of the truck was pushed back about 3 feet. How I didn’t get fired I’ll never know. 

These days there are dedicated truck sat nav systems which will steer you away from low bridges and narrow roads. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Must be a real nice place, hiring noobs and then not even firing them for such blunders! The closet I can relate tp such is when I knocked out the parking sign hanging at the entrance of the covered parking of Shj City Center with company lifted land cruiser pickup with a roof mounted sparetyre. 

Not so much nice, more corrupt. One of the owners liked to take computers and stuff off the newbies deliveries before they went out. Noobs being noobs, everyone was like ok boss. Nobody saw a problem because the company was letting them drive and build their experience. The insurance would pay for it anyway, right? Well one day the insurance company decided to investigate and close the company down. Many of the workers got screwed and lost 2 months salary. There were huge protests at the place, police involved etc. The details are available online. I won’t post them on an open forum but if anyone wants I will share the link by DM. I got lucky, I got a cushy job managing the machinery in a recycling plant and got out literally a week before all this happened. 

Bonus twist - the recycling company got fined millions for illegally burying waste and got shut down. Sometimes I was sent with the cat loading shovel to drop some waste up the hill but I never thought anything of it, it’s just what I was asked to do. Again, I got lucky and got out just before the shit hit the fan. Non public links also available for the naysayers. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well I think I spoke too soon, blame it mostly on getting old. My start in thr field of safaris and offloading is like that. 

Around 20yrs back it was a pretty close knit group freelance drivers which every tour company used after they used up their own crew which was not more than 5-10 for moat Co's and almost impossible for a total noob who has never driven with a license just a couple of years old to get into the game.

Even though I had good contacts none of them came true.save one who was able to hook me up doing the dirty work for the company for free that is drive the company pickup to run camp setup and at that time they were alao expanding and building two more camps. And none of the old hot shot freelancers wanted that work because first of all they didnt get to use their own cars so less pay, then work was tough first one in and last one out. No riding cushy land cruiser picking up possibly some nice babes and/or get good tips, work was hard and most got a back ache driving the pickup on washboard tracks, dunes and loading and  offloading the pickup plus a lotta responsibility as the whole operation depended on the camp pickup and its driver

So I said yes and quickly became their goto guy as the camp pickup driver because even the companydrivers didnt want this job. Then I ended up rolling over the pickup. Was rallying down a sand track at around 110-120. It was like a proper rally stage with lots of tight turns because it was bulldozed through a patch of technical dunes and was about 5kms long. I took a bend the pickup was unloaded so started to drift off the track. I over corrected and hit a 3-4 foot dune on the other bank, which send the pick up flying, did a 180 midair and landed on thr roof. The afore mentioned roof mounted tyre and carrier acted like a pseudo roll cage but it was bad enough that I was knocked unconscious and later had to transported via ambulance to Dubai Hospital.

I thought I would never work for them again but guess it was such a dirty job not long after I was called back again or maybe I was so good at it and no one else wanted it, Atleast that's what I like to think anyways 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1