•  
Advertise here

Your pet hates on the road

Barry

What’s your pet hates on the road?

My personal bugbear for the day, it’s bad enough when someone cuts you up without indicating. When they indicate at the same time as cutting you up it really causes problems in my ECU. Indicators are to signal your intention to do something, something to warn people to be aware and make the necessary adjustments, not a switch to be flicked as you start to move. 

Secondary hate goes to the people who speed up and block other people from changing lane, unless it’s someone trying to cut the queue at the lights, then it’s well deserved. You might think the person trying to switch lanes is slowing you down but in reality it probably adds 1 second to your total journey time. Is arriving 1 second later home really worth being an inconsiderate selfish a-hole and collecting bad juju?

• Like (+1) 2

Of late it's the bus drivers that transport labourers back from work that kinda pisses me off 

Today while I was coming home on Yalayis Road (leading to JAFZ Gate 1-3) where the speed limit is 80 km/h, I was driving at close to 100 km/h a bus was tailgating and flashing lights at me and when I gave him way he was driving at a speed of 120 km/h on the fast lane.

Further, in some of the roads in these areas, you have an unpaved area where the speed breakers limit ends. These bus drivers suddenly move from the paved road to the unpaved road so that they don't have to go through these speed breakers. 

• Like (+1) 2

Very nice topic @Barry I have just two PET Hates 

1. When someone behind you come close with a supersonic speed + gives you instant flash as if we can't see such huge FUGLY car + Don't wait to see if the car in front can steer right or not (no free lane) + After coming in front brake intentionally.

2. When the car in front of you is slower by 20-30 kmph than road limit and still adamant to drive on the fast lane. I usually go close and wait for few seconds for a person to realize, but some AH don't even realize for minutes and then don't even react with tiny blip unless you flash them full beam x 10 times like a donkey.
  • Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I have many many pet hates on the road but i'll just mention these:

1) The unwillingness of people to let you move into another lane when you see the exit appearing. Although i always use my indicators when moving into another lane; they speed up to close the open gap that you want to drive into. 

2) The complete and utter inability of so many people to keep distance between cars. 

3) Swerving between lanes like it's a video-game.

4) The third-world quality of trucks: the black soot coming from their exhausts and their worn out tires that cause accidents to themselves or leave debris for others. They probably never heard about EURO3 or EURO5 emission regulations. Even their lights and indicators hardly still work.

5) The lack of decent highway parkings for truckers. In most European countries there will be overnight parkings with some restaurants, public toilets, showers, etc...

6) Putting the car on the service lane to perform your prayer. You are risking the life of yourself and others and i see it every single day on the 611.

7) The Toyota vans carrying 10+ people driving 130km/h. No wonder accidents happen.

8 ) Reversing on the highway after missing their exit. Those people should be taken away their license for life.

9) The lack of resting rules for commercial drivers. Mandatory resting times should be put in place. It's not the first time i take a taxi and the driver is nodding off and i have to keep him awake to reach my house safely.

10) The use of high-beams or constant warning indicators as soon as a bit of fog appears. 

That was my rant for today :) 

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I hate the most is lady drivers (Sorry in advance for that i do respect women but when it comes to driving i guess some or rather say most of them are in their own trip) they drive as if they are all alone on the road and no one around them.

they will change lanes without indicators and most of them are busy on the phone while driving.

the other guys i hate are the Abu-dhabi number plate guys as they are always in a hurry for what reason only God knows😉

Please note:- Nothing personal just my observation for the past 10 years 🙏

• Like (+1) 2

Oh yes, even if the traffic light is red and the green man is showing, I will never cross the road if a AD plated car is approaching. I don’t know what it is but they have no road discipline. It’s like once they cross to another emirate, they think the law doesn’t apply to them. 

Another pet hate, people sitting in the car with babies on their knee or young children bouncing around all over the car. I know some people believe god will protect them and they will go when it’s their time to die, but god helps those who help themselves.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't hate BMW cars- I only hate the drivers of BMW's who are trying to prove something- like for instance their firm belief that they are somehow not bound to the rules of the road, or that their cars are immune to accident damage even if other makes are not, but worst of all, I hate BMW drivers who refuse to allow traffic from the side to enter the traffic flow. Its like there is something wrong with BMW drivers in this country. 

• Like (+1) 1