•  
Advertise here

Lifting a Pajero for Offroading

I too am planning to go for a suspension change soon. Which one is better.....Old Man EMU or Ironman? Do you think I should go for a 2 inch or 2.5 inch lift and is there anything else that should be taken care of after going for such a lift? With a 2.5 inch lift will the Pajero become very unstable?

Indeed like every other Pajero said, I do agree 2-3 inch lift is good and sufficient for offroading.

Also, Ren13 comment is for extreme cornering like roundabout at 80 and above, he is an ex-corvette guy lol. For normal road user and if you are driving the same 4x4 from some time, you will not feel much difference in cornering tbh.

For Pajero most important offroad mod is the reinforcing the rear bumper with a solid metal plate to avoid scooping the sand which results in breaking the rear bumper within a couple of drives. 

Old Man EMU VS Ironman is a tough call but can be decided based on the product you put your hands on. Old Man EMU being quite old and offer a reasonable mix of comfort for road + firmness for offroad as oppose to Ironman that is more oriented towards offroad means you will lose road comfort more unless you choose their adjustable shocks (if they have), which will be eventually more expensive.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

34 minutes ago, desertdude said:

As far as I remember lifting a Jero was a real PITA due to its independent suspension on all 4 corners and lifting would screw up all the drive train geometery

Not really if you deal with professionals who know what they are doing, rather than yes yes no prob come in guys.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

21 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Not really if you deal with professionals who know what they are doing, rather than yes yes no prob come in guys.

Aiwa aiwa Insha’Allah 

Hence my comment, make sure you get a 3D 4 wheel alignment done after lifting. 

I had a Pajero come to me around 18 months ago. I don’t remember his name and I’m not sure but I think you sent him to me @Gaurav?

He got a lift kit fitted in an Iranian shop. Came to me and complained the car was unstable, kept squirreling and every time he went round a corner he thought he was going to die. I didn’t have alignment equipment but I took a look. The car was running like 15 degrees of negative camber, the tyre was hardly touching the ground so it was like yeah no that’s your problem, go to a proper alignment place and get it fixed. Never heard back from him so I assume he got it fixed. 

Its one thing fitting parts, it’s another making sure they work as intended. Would you let someone stick a carburettor on your car without tuning it? Probably not. So don’t let people fit suspension parts without setting them up either. 

Its incredibly easy to reset suspension geometry. If you have the equipment and many chancers here don’t. 

Point was most good proper offroaders really don't need anything. You can lift them a couple of inches and nothing gets messes up. 

Land Cruiser for example you can lift it 2" easy of not more without having to do anything else, same with the Defenders and Discoveries.

Jeep XJ you try lifting it and everything goes out of whack. You need to lower the transmission, modify the front drive shaft, modify the front end, from arms etc etc. 

Land Cruiser being my fav. Just thrown in a set of lifted springs at the back, torque up the front torsion rods and your done!