•  
Advertise here

Floor well heat 3.8l pajero

Hello pajero owners i recently got myself a 2005 pajero 3.8l and of late the drivers floor panel is uncomfotably very hot, during summer i did not feel it since i had the a/c blowing full time. After a bit of research i thought the cat converter would be the culprit especially for a car its age so i knocked it out but the heat is still there though a little bit less, anyone had the same experience and whats the advice??

Who gave you the bright idea of deleting the Cat converter? Dunno about the jero but now you could be running a wonky fuel air mixture which can throw up a check engine light, affect the cars performance and fuel consumption. 

Also check underneath maybe you are missing a heat shield, maybe previously someone had a similar bright idea and decided it was u wanted and got rid of it, or missing insulation under the carpets if it has any

If none of that is the case then it's just poor design from Mitsubishi and look into installing some insulation of your own like dynamat

• Like (+1) 1

Desertdude actually there wasnt any lights or whistles since all sensors are before that cat and it runs great actually jst for the smell of exhaust if u stand behind the car, meanwhile am looking around for a good heat insulator to add beneath the carpet, watever is currently there if there is any it aint great.

Shadow79 thanks i checked with the garage if anything was looking odd but they couldnt find anything

Desertdude by anychance you know of someone who does a decent job on vehicle heat insulation ??

On 11/11/2018 at 8:56 AM, desertdude said:

Who gave you the bright idea of deleting the Cat converter? doesn't about the jero but now you could be running a wonky fuel air mixture which can throw up a check engine light, affect the cars performance and fuel consumption. 

No, No, No, Pajero doesn't go wonky without the cat, neither throw check engine light nor affect the fuel consumption and instead BUMP the car performance and roaring noise than a weak V6 noise. I am running straight 3" pipe since 5 years and love the highway drone and also little doof doof noise.

I strongly suspect what shadow79 said, as in my 1999 Pajero passenger side footwell has a hole opening into the firewall that brings engine roaring and road noise inside the cabin. Stick a small soundproof or heatproof sheet there and job done - noise reduced by 50% at least. @Frederic Nuyttens can confirm if the same solution worked for him or not, as I haven't heard his feedback yet.

You need to check the missing duct or hole opening from inside the cabin and not from the engine bay. You will surely find one on the front  Passenger side, but what is warming the driver side is a mystery. Maybe I should drive my Pajero without shoes and without AC to really feel how warm that footwell gets.

Just a thought, check if your AC cooling knob is turned to red (heat side) as it will be circulating the heater water irrespective of a blower is on or not.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

On my ‘99 Pajero the heat seems to come more from the area just next to the 4WD shifter. Can get pretty warm. The road noise came down a bit indeed since @Gaurav bhai gave me that piece of soundproof plate to stick under the passenger footwell. 

Does RTA inspection complain if the Cat is gone ? Or does it go unnoticed when they are “emptied” ?

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Well just because its a Pajero doesnt mean its like yours, its a different generation Pajero with a lot of differences.  

Just now, Frederic Nuyttens said:

On my ‘99 Pajero the heat seems to come more from the area just next to the 4WD shifter. Can get pretty warm. The road noise came down a bit indeed since @Gaurav bhai gave me that piece of soundproof plate to stick under the passenger footwell. 

Does RTA inspection complain if the Cat is gone ? Or does it go unnoticed when they are “emptied” ?

Well depends on how sensitive and how your car is setup. Slight chances of failing emissions tests if a car uses downstream O2 sensors, and throw up a CEL but since the old jeros like yours and gauravs dont seem to have none, don't think it will be an issue.

• Like (+1) 1

not all cars go cucu if the catalytic converter is removed the plus side on some cars is they gain bit acceleration because of the freeflow exhaust.

but on some cars there is a marriage hall on the instrument cluster and various systems just shut and not work.

the passing tests are not so strong here as they are in california so don't worry it will pass without any issues have taken many customers cars to passing with issues like that...

• Like (+1) 1

Thank you everyone for your inputs i will indeed check for missing ducts from inside of the vehicle.

On most older vehicles removing the cat doesnt stop the vehicle instead it breathes with no restrictions and because i knocked the inside of it someone wouldnt know its missing by visually looking