•  
Advertise here

Stiff steering wheel -RR P38 - 1999(Solved)

Jeh

23 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Nothing in regards to the steering is electronically controlled so the fuses thing is just a placebo or coincidence. 

You most probably overtime just got used to the stiffer steering.

Yes maybe.. But i read somewhere that it might be something related to the ECU and the speed data not updated between ECUs. Hence someone suggested to do the fuse in and out. 

37 minutes ago, Jeh said:

Yes maybe.. But i read somewhere that it might be something related to the ECU and the speed data not updated between ECUs. Hence someone suggested to do the fuse in and out. 

Like I said the power steering in the P38 is all old skool mechanical with no electronics. What you read is most probably for the next generation L322 Range Rover. Which is mechanical as well as electronically controlled. 

When I got my L322 its steering was very stiff. I replaced the servotronic valve ( BMW owners will know what I am talking about here as the system is straight out of a BMW ) it still didn't make any difference.Then I replaced the Body Control Module under the passenger seat from the free donor L322 I had and viola steering as light as a feather literally can turn it with your pinky when parked. 

maybe the idle speed needed to be updated or check the air filter if its choked...in many cars there is a sensor that reminds the ecu to slightly idle up as the power steering is used