•  
Advertise here

Unicorns

Barry

On 11/25/2018 at 8:38 AM, Gaurav said:

It's OK if you have an issue with limited numbers then you can go with Gold plated Rolls Royce for instant prestige and no proving your point of limited edition with all the bling of Gold.

To my mind, a gold plated Rolls is the epitome of bad taste. Only pimps, drug runners (the dumb ones, at least), and newly-rich Americans would find such a thing prestigious.   

Edited by treks
  • Haha (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, treks said:

To my mind, a gold plated Rolls is the epitome of bad taste. Only pimps, drug runners (the dumb ones, at least), and newly-rich Americans would find such a thing prestigious.   

It was a joke made for the desertdude comment that he has an issue with a limited edition concept.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

It was a joke made for the desertdude comment that he has an issue with a limited edition concept.

I don't have an issue with the concept, I'm fact I'm all for it and all the P38As Ive owned have been special or limited editions. 

I was just mentioning how these super car companies like Ferrari are actually deceiving people by saying they are making an X number of cars and then actually go and make more. Not many people are aware of this.

• Like (+1) 1

Seems unbelievable as most limited number cars I've come across have a plate and certificate that comes with the car showing which number they were manufactured. So if they produce 500 cars they would be numbered from 1 to 500 which would be embossed on a plate and stuck near the dash board along with a certificate. These are not duplicated and if they were to produce say 500 cars only you would not see number 501. So I can't imagine manufacturers making so much money and being cheap enough to pull a stunt which would ruin their reputation for future limited models.

• Like (+1) 1

Here’s another. Ford Sierra 1.3. Rare way back then because who’s going to order a new car that size with a 1.3 when you can have a 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 or even a cologne or Essex engined model? Complete poverty spec. Even rarer now. 

I ended up buying one maybe 20 years ago. Never come across another anywhere since. I bought it as a spares car but before I stripped it, I got it running and took it for a drive. I’ve had bicycles that accelerated faster. Part of me wishes I had kept it for the rarity factor. The other part of me was glad to have the spare parts. The last part of me wonders why anyone would actually spec it as a new car in the first place. 

C2D0D50D-6A70-4E3F-B83A-C14281508283.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/27/2018 at 8:30 PM, Barry said:

Here’s another. Ford Sierra 1.3. Rare way back then because who’s going to order a new car that size with a 1.3 when you can have a 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 or even a cologne or Essex engined model? Complete poverty spec. Even rarer now. 

I ended up buying one maybe 20 years ago. Never come across another anywhere since. I bought it as a spares car but before I stripped it, I got it running and took it for a drive. I’ve had bicycles that accelerated faster. Part of me wishes I had kept it for the rarity factor. The other part of me was glad to have the spare parts. The last part of me wonders why anyone would actually spec it as a new car in the first place. 

C2D0D50D-6A70-4E3F-B83A-C14281508283.jpeg

I can possibly explain this - based on the Dutch plate. My friend Alain used to run Ford NL. He told me that the Dutch spec their cars with the absolute minimum possible (basically 4 wheels and an engine) no matter the car. The Netherlands 2nd hand market is literally flooded with lowest spec possible examples of just about every possible model. It's so rare to find an automatic (for instance) that they all carry a massive premium. My guess is that 90% of the 1.3 Sierras were Dutch

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Wrangeld said:

I can possibly explain this - based on the Dutch plate. My friend Alain used to run Ford NL. He told me that the Dutch spec their cars with the absolute minimum possible (basically 4 wheels and an engine) no matter the car. The Netherlands 2nd hand market is literally flooded with lowest spec possible examples of just about every possible model. It's so rare to find an automatic (for instance) that they all carry a massive premium. My guess is that 90% of the 1.3 Sierras were Dutch

My father in law drove a 1.6 Sierra and literally did zero maintenance, except topping up the oil level when the light came up. Managed to drive 65,000km in 20 years and didn’t  wash it once. 

• Haha (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

On 3/11/2020 at 8:31 AM, Barry said:

Another new one to me, Ford Verona. Basically a 2 door Orion. Would love one of these and drop in the RST CVH engine. 

5B00C3A2-135D-41DD-AD76-0EAD6351A985.jpeg

We knew these as Mazda 323' s, which we reborn as Ford Meteors when Ford and Mazda started a local joint venture. 

• Like (+1) 1