•  
Advertise here

Pajero 3.8 rpm problem

Hi, Today while driving, the Pajero Engine suddenly stalled. Re-started with a rough idle and black smoke out of exhaust. Engine was stopping as soon as I put in gear. 

Drove normally on the E311, have ASC, Traction control and Catcon light ON. Mileage has dropped, but no loss of power. 

No black smoke now. Engine rpm too low in idle making it stop at Signals.

Any suggestions before taking it to a garage tomorrow. 

Thanks!

Have a diagnostic reader plugged in and see what codes its throwing, then take it from there, from described symptoms could be anything from a dead dying MAF sensor, IAC valve to janky ignition coils. 

Avoid any place that starts to instantly throw parts at it without getting a diagnosis first.

Om a side note everybody nowadays should have diagnostic readers in their toolkit. They have become pretty cheap now. Form a couple of 100dhs for specific car brands to 30-50dhs for a generic obdII reader 

• Like (+1) 3

You don't even need to buy a scanner. There are some pretty nifty apps available that can be used with smart phones, and although I would not use one of these apps to diagnose  serial communication issues on Flexray or even common CAN bus systems, most of these apps are good for simple fault code extraction. 

Edited by treks
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Wow, that was really fast to solve the issue. Can you please share what you did to find the real culprit so fast.

@desertdude: can you please share some OBD - generic or brand specific scanner under 100 dhs as I like to buy these since a long time, to have a periodic look on general health? Preferred brand for me is Mitsubishi, Land Rover and Chevrolet

I googled a lot. Then on one Australian forum I found the same problem that I faced. To diagnose the MAF sensor it was suggested to disconnect the connector connected to it. I did the same, the car started normally, but with a high idle at 1200 rpm and was not stopping when I let go the throttle. In order to be sure, drove to a used car parts shop and checked by swapping with another MAF sensor. Started and found all OK. Reset the CEL by disconnecting the battery. Drove about 300km, so far it's running OK. 

Edited by WiLfY
  • Thanks (+1) 1