•  
Advertise here

OBD II Car Diagnostic scanner suggestion

Gaurav

4 hours ago, WiLfY said:

Thanks! for the advise guys. The problem is solved. It was MAF sensor problem. 

Everything normal now.

Wow, that was really fast to solve the issue. Can you please share what you did to find the real culprit so fast.

@desertdude: can you please share some OBD - generic or brand specific scanner under 100 dhs as I like to buy these since a long time, to have a periodic look on general health? Preferred brand for me is Mitsubishi, Land Rover and Chevrolet

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

23 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Wow, that was really fast to solve the issue. Can you please share what you did to find the real culprit so fast.

@desertdude: can you please share some OBD - generic or brand specific scanner under 100 dhs as I like to buy these since a long time, to have a periodic look on general health? Preferred brand for me is Mitsubishi, Land Rover and Chevrolet

https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/autel-maxiscan-ms509-obd-2-eobd-complient-auto-code-reader-scanner-diagnostic-6828609/i/

This is what i am using. I bought this to see if there is any code and to be able to remove the check engine light. Since i sold the jeep i didnt need it so i cannot say it is good or bad but it looks good. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sertac said:

https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/autel-maxiscan-ms509-obd-2-eobd-complient-auto-code-reader-scanner-diagnostic-6828609/i/

This is what i am using. I bought this to see if there is any code and to be able to remove the check engine light. Since i sold the jeep i didnt need it so i cannot say it is good or bad but it looks good. 

Maxiscan is a nice little tool. I’ve had a couple over the years as backups. IIRC you can display graphs on them which is useful. You can get adaptor leads for them for cars with different connectors like old Mercedes and BMW. The only thing I don’t like about it is that it doesn’t have Bluetooth. I plugged one into a Peugeot with a bad ECU and it fried the IC in the scan tool. Definitely better than any phone app I’ve tried though. 

Look on eBay for Delphi diagnostic software. You can get the CD ROM for around $10 and a Bluetooth dongle for around $40. You’ll have to use your laptop but it’ll open up a whole new world for you. 

I have the latest Launch X431 with all the adapters for literally every car. Anyone who is interested is welcome to come and have a play with it. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Gaurav said:

If I’m not mistaken your pajero works on MUT(II) protocol which is not compatible with the universal OBD type of scanners. I looked into buying one but only one kit (that evo drivers use) was available with software and cable. If you want I’ll send you the link.

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

26 minutes ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

If I’m not mistaken your pajero works on MUT(II) protocol which is not compatible with the universal OBD type of scanners. I looked into buying one but only one kit (that evo drivers use) was available with software and cable. If you want I’ll send you the link.

Thanks buddy, please post the link and I think you are right. As always normal scanner was unable to read my Pajero, but Barry has managed to hook up his system and scan her just fine, seems like some different adapter it has or some other standard / protocol it uses. Can you also please explain what is MUT stuff?

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

MUT is a different communication protocol from OBD2. The pin layout, baud rate etc are different. OBD2 was introduced as standard in 1996 but japan didn’t introduce it as standard until 2000. It is possible to make MUT equipped cars communicate with an OBD scanner but it needs different leads and programming. Basically it’s a pain in the butt if you don’t have the equipment. You might be able to do the paperclip and flashing light method, I’m not sure but it works on Subaru.

I remember plugging your Pajero in for the first time and connecting straight away. You also told me another garage wanted extra money to build a new lead to scan pajeros. Their computer must have been from a ford model t. This is why you need to keep your electronic diagnostic equipment up to date. I wasn’t using anything fancy at the time, it was a launch mini tablet. Even the newer phone apps are capable of reading MUT now, I think torque app is compatible. All this technology eventually filters down to the end user if you have patience to wait.

If you want a proper diagnostic system, just buy the one I have. It will cost you 3,000 Dhs but it will be the best 3,000 Dhs you ever spent. You can read codes from any car and you also have the added bonus of programming functions, ie adding features that were paid extras like needle sweep on startup, closing windows with the remote etc. depending on the car. There is a lot of money to be made from switching random 0 to 1 and upgrading cars. 

The only thing I don’t like is that you can’t play with fuelling parameters and remap the car but that’s a totally different ballgame. 

You should drop by one day after work and have a play with this. 

• Like (+1) 4

@Gaurav

This is the one i was talking about:

Evoscan Software (support for MUT protocol)

I don't have experience with it, but came across some posts on other forums from South-Africa and Australia where they were able to hookup the gen2 pajero to it. Next to the software you will need a USB to MUT cable which they also sell through the website.

• Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I've had great luck with iCarsoft scanners, they are cheap around 350dhs and they cover the entire manufacturer line up with regular free updates over the net. They are built tough and will interrogate all your systems and give you as many live readings as possible ( no fancy graphs though. For example I get 90 plus live reading just from the engine alone. Has paid for it self 10 times over by now and my two other buddies who also have L322s have access to it. 

Don't let its looks fool you. It might look dinky with a tiny screen and just a few buttons but it goes through your entire vehicle with a toothcomb. Even reads my headlight ECUs 

They are built tough and very portable, oil and water proof with a hard rubberized coating, so you can just chuck them in your car dash and not worry about it. Mine is always in the driver side door pockets because I like to plug it in and drive and just mess or observe the readings on various parameters, only thing is it can't program or flash. Now I feel naked if I don't have it with me. 

Also its also backs up as a standard OBD II reader so you can use it with any car. As you are keeping your Jero long term and you have a L322 I would strongly suggest you buy one for each and keep them onboard. You are welcome to bring your L322 to my place and give my icarsoft a test drive. 

Only thing I dunno if it will read your older pajero, maybe get in touch with them and make sure. My JLR one goes back to 1999, Didn't work on my 1998 P38. 

I was lucky they had the one I wanted available on souq so I didn't have to mess around with international shipping and shit. Just search for iCarsoft on souq there are always a few available there, if not maybe get in touch with the seller and see if can bring in the i909 and i930 for you. If still not they are always there on ebay for around a $100 

https://www.icarsoft.com/Product/s-338-iCarsoft_Multi_system_Scanner_i909.html

https://www.icarsoft.com/Product/s-332-icarsoft_multi_system_scanner_i930_for_landroverjaguar.html

• Thanks (+1) 1