Dr-A

Camry 2005 axle repair. Please advise.

Recommended Posts

Hey all.

So I noticed my 2005 camry (american specs, done 165 k miles) started giving some crinkling noise when I'm on u turn both ways left and right. It increased gradually and only occurs at u turn or turning the steering wheel more on both sides. The ride is smooth and brakes are working fine. 

I went to a garage to check it out and he said that it is the axle which is making the noise. So naturally I went to one of the authorized spare parts outlet in sharjah and they quoted me a whopping 3000dhs for 2 axles. The car is only worth about a mere 12k dhs. Its a lot of money for axle repair.

Please advise on what to do now? Should I buy a second hand axle or get a new Chinese or Thai one?

Has anyone had a similar experience and what did they do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@shadow79 is the expert with Camry, he can help you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of chinese or thai ones, I will highly recommend the used ones from a scrapyard.

You can find which scrapyard deals with Toyota and finding Camry (most common) axle will be a piece of cake

https://carnity.com/business_listing/car-spare-parts/used-parts-scrapyard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, desertdude said:

And people say jap eco boxes are cheap to maintain

It can be as expensive as you want it to be, especially if you want to replace the entire axle when only the CV joints can be replaced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, treks said:

It can be as expensive as you want it to be, especially if you want to replace the entire axle when only the CV joints can be replaced. 

Not really, a front strut for a 1996 toyota tercel cost the same as the air spring on my range rover. Well it did the last time I asked.

Honda and Mitsubishi parts are notoriously expensive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i know the axels new are very expensive and aftermarket will not last so we usually advise the customers to better buy used japanese axles both will come at around 550 to 650 and it will last you a good time

Edited by shadow79
more info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, shadow79 said:

i know the axels new are very expensive and aftermarket will not last so we usually advise the customers to better buy used japanese axles both will come at around 550 to 650 and it will last you a good time

Can you please tell me where to get japanese ones in sharjah or ajman? thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not ajman only in sharjah you can get fresh parts but you have to keep an eye open

as there too now repaired goods shop have popped up which sell repaired goods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shadow79 said:

not ajman only in sharjah you can get fresh parts but you have to keep an eye open

as there too now repaired goods shop have popped up which sell repaired goods

do you know of any specific shop in sharjah?

appreciate it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now