•  
Advertise here

CAFU

Barry

I’ve been noticing some weird looking trucks in my area lately with CAFU branding. On the rear it says petroleum tanker take care. I did some research and apparently it’s a service where a tanker comes and fills your car, rather than you going to the petrol station to fill up. There is a service charge of 18 Dhs per fill but you can subscribe monthly for 45 Dhs for unlimited fills. 

What do you think of this? Is it something you would use? Personally for me, it’s not a proper fill up unless you go into the shop and get coffee and a sandwich. 

If this is a private sector service I would not touch it, especially with the convenience of easily available petrol stations. You never know what kind of adulteration is done. During the heydays (pre 2014) when oil prices were above USD 100 per barrel, diesel used to be sold mixed with Iranian import diesel which had a very high sulphur content. Needless to say, what the high sulphur content would do to your engine.

In the hands of private business and especially in fuel business, one needs to do only a little bit of adulteration (even 5%) to become a millionaire overnight.

Wow that's scary now. I know in India they use to do this 15-20 years back and I had been with a friend to refuel his car at that time as it would work out very cheap directly from the petrol tankers which supplied fuel to petrol stations.

Never heard of anything like this here at least.  But I'm sure the fuel will be adulterated and that's asking for trouble with your ride.

Does anyone been to ADNOC lately......? I visited 5-6 times since they launch 10 dhs / self-serve. Always seen cars queuing up on self-serve and hardly seen one or two cars at 10 dhs bay.

Asking 18 per fuel up seems quite reasonable if they are coming to your house and office, but will see how many will use this service eventually. As people willing to spend this amount has drivers anyways who will be refueling all their household cars every week.

I am not sure if it's any govt supported or regulated entity but seems like a new startup with a new idea - seen a refueling testing video last month or so.

Indeed it's a different and new concept, wouldn't mind trying once they pass the test of time but every time I doubt.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

5% additives isn’t bad. Of course we would all love 100% pure petrol but these days, engines need additives to run reliably. Engines need things like LRP additives to stop damage to the valve seats, octane boosters to stop pre detonation etc. As far as I know, please correct me if I’m wrong, the petrol in the uk is only 85% petrol now, most of the rest is made up of ethanol as part of the governments environment plan. 

If you want to run a pure fuel these days, the only option is to buy an older diesel with mechanical pump and injectors, no common rail stuff, and run it on vegetable oil. 

@Barry i didn't mention additives, I mentioned adulteration. If you ever go to Ajman / Sharjah Industrial Area you will find plenty of diesel tankers and one of the biggest business for the testing laboratories in that area is to check the sulphur content, flash point and distillation range of each tankers. Bigger companies that buy huge quantities of diesel setup their own in house lab to do the testing.

I have personally worked in the Diesel business and I can assure you it's a complete mafia. Fuel distribution by private sector is not regulated by the govt.

Also, just say I subscribe to CAFU monthly service and need a refulling 5-6 times a month, how is it that they would be viable by charging only AED 45 for this service ?

For me the peace of mind of buying petrol at the gas station far outweighs the risk of buying petrol from a private party.

30 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Does anyone been to ADNOC lately......? I visited 5-6 times since they launch 10 dhs / self-serve. Always seen cars queuing up on self-serve and hardly seen one or two cars at 10 dhs bay.

That's what i mentioned when Carnity had posted the news. This was a very smart way to ensure that the rich don't have to wait in a line to fuel their cars.

If they really wanted to implement the proper way there should be no separate line for self serving customers. Both lines can be combined like before. Anyone who needs the attendant to fill the petrol can be charged at that particular point. This would eliminate the line at Self Serving Station

• Like (+1) 2

@skumar83 I cannot vouch for reliability or quality of CAFU. I am not affiliated with them in any way. I just saw the trucks and looked into it and thought some people would be interested in discussing it. 

30 minutes ago, skumar83 said:

@Barry apologies if I came too strongly on this issue. Just that I have seen the dirty side of it.

No worries man. No offence taken on my side. It’s a discussion on a friendly forum and all opinions are respected. 

Because I live in one of the newer communities on the way to Al Quadra road, it’s a pain to get to the nearest petrol station sometimes. One of our neighbors posted the Cafu service recently on the community web page and it got quite some attraction. There is a Cafu app. If I’m not mistaken you pay 18dhs extra delivery fee. Fuel prices are same as petrol station. 

Edited by Frederic Nuyttens

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."