•  

Wadi suggestions

Radhika

36 minutes ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

In my opinion the Wadi's in UAE are not really worth a visit anymore. Either they are dry, or they are full of garbage and too many people. 

We did both Wadi Tiwi and Wadi Shab in Oman a few weeks back and they are simply stunning. Both can be done with young kids but involves a busy day hiking, climbing and swimming. We also camped on the beach in Oman because it is still allowed.

Lots of information can be found online by googling them. The OMAN Offroad books that you can buy in the bookshop are even better as they provide more detailed information.

2018-10-27 22.15.00.png

Thanks Frederic! I agree with you, the wadis we visited as kids and swam in either no longer exist or not accessible anymore. The place you suggested looks great, but we want to stay in UAE. So if there's anything worth going to here would be highly appreciated. 

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I think we'll give Wadi Siji a shot and see where and how that goes. Will keep you all posted on the reviews. If that doesn't work out then will probably explore something new and keep you posted on that too! :D

• Like (+1) 1

Welcome @Radhika. A very happy advanced birthday greeting to you. Never knew you shared your birthday with UAE.

I am not much of a wadi person, but appreciate the knowledge of @Jeh when it comes to wadis.

I have done one wadi drive with @Jeh which took us through Wadi Shawka which is an hour drive from Dubai. We then headed to the Hatta pools which was amazing place for families, however not sure about camping and BBQ. @Jeh if you can share insight on camping and BBQ in the Hatta Pool area.

https://carnity.com/gallery/category/67-hatta-wadi-drive-lake-kayaking

I also remember doing Wadi Shawka with Gaurav bhai, wonderful place for families, bonus was the hidden track to the side where they store the water. @Gaurav bhai maybe you can share the track. I'm sure camping and BBQ would be fine as @waqaszohair and his wife served up some absolutely delicious chicken BBQ.

https://carnity.com/gallery/category/4-wadi-shawka-3-march-2017

Thank you @Rahimdad for the birthday wish! Wadi Shawka was our first choice but considering it's a long weekend and everyone will want to be out enjoying the weather it would get very busy. So we thought of exploring something else. Want to stay away from enclaves mainly for the purpose of not having to use roaming on our phones (I know sounds silly). 
Maybe a random weekend will go to Shawka when not everyone's trying to go there :-)

Wadi Shawka is a good option if the other side where we camp is still open and accessible. A normal / regular side is overcrowded and can't really find a place to park, let alone camp and BBQ.

Sharing both the tracks here in two diff format, hope these track still accessible

image.png

image.png

Shawka Kayak.gpx

Shawka Kayak.kmz

Wadi Shawka.gpx

Wadi Shawka.kmz

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Radhika be careful if you're camping out in any Wadi, do check the weather for rain, and if you see the first sign of rain please head out. Safety first. Land slides are deadly.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Jeh said:

I am not sure whether you have heard of Mleiha Museum. http://www.discovermleiha.ae/

It's a great place to visit & very educational for kids as well. The location is very picturesque. 

jpeg.jpg?$p=79ddad7&w=1136&$w=ec52ab9

Post the visit to the museum you can drive inside a bit and there are small enclosed spaces which are a bit rocky and sandy where you can do BBQ and camp as well. The best part is its only an hours drive from Dubai. 

https://goo.gl/maps/wrvXAFHSFGR2 

Yes Mleiha museum is definitely worth a trip. Try the cafeteria on the backside, it’s fabulous. You can drive around the area as there are some easy accessible roads leading into the desert. But don’t camp In that area. We did one and didn’t sleep for 5 mins. with the racing muppets and heroes racing up fossil rock.

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Important Information

Terms of use