•  
Advertise here

Alpine A110 in European car of the year final

Barry

B7F5B554-AC21-4921-92D2-6B0DA4F2C46B.jpeg.492686df807ca0cc3e1286ade57ad0b9.jpeg202C294D-EE18-44C4-80C3-A96530F7C75D.jpeg.7c149b8991e07b0e6d6255ed7af2b2e5.jpeg97092933-599C-4D53-A2C3-EB07C5F0E729.jpeg.33f536bd7defbcfff9871532d0f3033c.jpeg

The older European members amongst us will remember the original Alpine A110

E5F5AC21-FAE7-4356-948E-BAD2CD545FC1.jpeg.67652e7eec9881437c3f9294734ba784.jpeg

And the later Renault Alpine A310

E993DBD7-98F8-42FC-8381-16912E80ACB2.jpeg.a03dbd85ba96999708fd13fab8ad3f12.jpeg

To win European car of the year is a prestigious award and if the new Alpine A110 wins, it will be the first 2 seater sports car to win the award in the last 40 years. 

Previous winners have included cars such as the Porsche 928 and the Ford Granada, a varied array, but a lot of factors are taken into consideration. 

For a 4 cylinder sports car that can beat a Porsche Cayman into submission on a track, the new A110 is really something special. 

The cars the A110 are facing in the final include the Citroen C5 Aircross, Ford Focus, Jaguar I-Pace, Kia Ceed, Mercedes-Benz A-Class and Peugeot 508.

Personal opinion, there a lot of special cars with nice features in the final, but the A110 just stands out as extra special. Remember when Dodge brought back the Challenger and Ford went back to retro Mustang styling? This is what that is to European cars. 

I don't see any retro styling here, looks like the Toyota 86 to me. Looks nothing like it's predecessor which was a cool looking car.

And why are Europeans so scared of putting decent motors in anything other than their really high end stuff. 

FFS another cola bottle 1.8.motor with a turbo strapped on Even japs put a 3liter V6 in their top spec Camrys, which is actually pretty fast for a full sized 4 door saloon. They need to get over their obsession of artificially inflated tiny engines, just so they can lure the European middle class of great fuel economy, MPG figures that are useless unless driven like a granny all the time and you don't go over 2000rpm 

@desertdude have you ever been to Europe? I love a big V8 as much as the next guy, but practically, they don’t work there. There are no 12+ lanes highways like there are here. Roads are mainly one lane each way and many of them through mountainous terrain, which is why small, light cars with loads of horsepower make sense. I know you’re anti small cars, but they work where they’re supposed to work, hence why the A110 is a finalist for European car of the year. Fuel economy is a legit issue too. When you’ve been in the UAE so long, it’s easy to forget that some Europeans are forced to pay 7-8 dhs for a litre of petrol. When you have to pay rent, buy food, pay whatever government charges, shit becomes real. PI would have loved a V8 patrol at home but it’s totally impractical. 

This is about European car of the year, not UAE car of the year. If you can’t handle that, find another thread. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah then how do you explain the big 400hp plus Audis, BMWs, Porsches,VWs, Range Rovers, Jaguars,Mercedes and so on and so forth. 

I'm fact Europeans are the only one currently making V12s .

It's just a bunch of wanky manufactures like Renault, Ford Europe etc etc that cant seem to make a proper car with a proper motor.

P.S : My current ride is a 1.5 liter Yaris so don't tell me I'm anti small car. But its a rental :D

Edited by desertdude

The small turbocharged engines totally make sense in Europe with all the high taxes on emission and high price for petrol. It keeps the car light and i can imagine the A110 handles like a dream. It's all about fun per hp if you ask me.

I'd like to see how many +400bhp cars are still being sold in Europe. All the big German manufacturers still make them but they are mainly being sold to CEO's living in emerging economy countries where the petrol prices are reasonable and where people don't get taxed-off their socks. (like UAE)

Without their commodity vehicles they would all have been bankrupt already. 

Edited by Frederic Nuyttens

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

39 minutes ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

The small turbocharged engines totally make sense in Europe with all the high taxes on emission and high price for petrol. It keeps the car light and i can imagine the A110 handles like a dream. It's all about fun per hp if you ask me.

I'd like to see how many +400bhp cars are still being sold in Europe. All the big German manufacturers still make them but they are mainly being sold to CEO's living in emerging economy countries where the petrol prices are reasonable and where people don't get taxed-off their socks. (like UAE)

Without their commodity vehicles they would all have been bankrupt already. 

I totally understand bread and butter white good fleet and just A to B transport vehicles. But if you are making a sports cars which your average joe is not going to buy. Give it some proper guts atleast, instead of just trying to fake it with strapping on turbos 

Like Carol Shelby famously said, there is no replacement for displacement. 

3 hours ago, desertdude said:

I totally understand bread and butter white good fleet and just A to B transport vehicles. But if you are making a sports cars which your average joe is not going to buy. Give it some proper guts atleast, instead of just trying to fake it with strapping on turbos 

Like Carol Shelby famously said, there is no replacement for displacement. 

Displacement is passé. Look at electric cars and their performance. Time to wake up and smell the Amps 🤣

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

4 hours ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

Displacement is passé. Look at electric cars and their performance. Time to wake up and smell 

Yeah performance of the Volt, Bolt and Leaf nothing to write home about. That's why production ended. Tesla is too expensive and impractical with no real network outside the US so electric cars are not taking over anytime soon

21 hours ago, desertdude said:

Yeah performance of the Volt, Bolt and Leaf nothing to write home about. That's why production ended. Tesla is too expensive and impractical with no real network outside the US so electric cars are not taking over anytime soon

Not for at least another 50 or 60 years, if ever, given the worldwide lack of generating capacity and the crap that will hit the fan when the proponents of electric cars finally realize just how much pollution charging a billion cars will produce :wink: 

53 minutes ago, treks said:

Not for at least another 50 or 60 years, if ever, given the worldwide lack of generating capacity and the crap that will hit the fan when the proponents of electric cars finally realize just how much pollution charging a billion cars will produce :wink: 

Not to mention what kind of a toxic waste land is created when mining for the raw materials to be used in the batteries for these electric vehicle.

And avg joe is not going to give up something that is cheap and convenient (regular IC cars ) for something expensive and impractical ( electric cars )