•  
Advertise here

Nissan Patrol new shape 2013 - 2016, 320 or 400 Hp?

Dr-A

Hey all,

I am looking into buying a Nissan Patrol SE or LE platinum between the year 2013 - 2016, but I'm confused which engine size to go for?

I'm not a desert safari type of guy. My daily road mileage is about 100kms. Rarely travelling from sharjah to dubai/abudhabi.

Should I go for V6 or V8? Should the V8 be 320 or 400 HP?

Which one has better fuel economy? I believe both fuel tank capacity is around 140 Litres taking about 250dh to fill.

Also how are the spare parts prices for the Patrol? Is it easily available and cheap to repair?

Need your advice please. Appreciate it.

V6 gives better mileage than a V8. 320 V8 give better mileage than the 400. 

If you’re just driving on the road, buy the cheapest one because the extra horsepower will be wasted. It just turn into a willy waving exercise, mine is bigger that yours etc. Big horsepower is wasted on uae roads because unless your first name is sheikh, you are limited to how fast you can drive. 

If you’re going to the dunes regularly, then it’s worth splashing out on as much horsepower as you can afford. 

• Like (+1) 1

There is a reason why its nicknamed the Nissan Petrol. And if you're worried about gas mileage you are looking at the wrong car to buy. 

Currently I have a rental 1.5 Yaris Ecotec while my Range Rover is taking a rest. See the tank go over Full with 80dhs of gas and then get 650 kms from that, is the kind of car you should be looking at.

Put 80dhs in my Range Rover even before the light comes on and even then it doesn't reach the halfway mark and you get around 250kms from that. The Patrol is probably going to be even worse.

More horsepower is ALWAYS more fun even if you are not sheikh. Speeding is one thing and jumping from 60-120 in flash is another well within the speed limit. Totally wrong way to think to buy I6 Patrol that will be sluggish like 2.7 liter V4 Prado.

Body weight and horsepower should reasonably match to each other to give you some confidence to drive than having a huge body and can't move fast enough.

I agree with desertdude that if fuel consumption is your top priority then you may be in a wrong league for Patrol. Patrol is very thirsty since they are born and that is for a reason that they deliver some top end torque and HP for good offroad capabilities. I had 2006 Nissan Patrol in 2008 and that is the only car in which I could see the fuel needle movement even on the highway at 140 speed with 3.5 - 4 K rpm.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

If you are not an offroad guy, then do consider UK, German or US SUV's - excellent fuel mileage and reasonably good value for money and reliability when slightly used (3-5 yr old). I had ML500, that gave very good fuel mileage instead of V8 with 5.0 engine, same for my Mustang 5.0 L gave around 12 - 14 L/100 and my current Range 5.0 with supercharged gives me 16-18 L/100.

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-09 at 9.14.45 PM (2).jpeg  WhatsApp Image 2018-12-09 at 9.14.45 PM (1).jpeg  WhatsApp Image 2018-12-09 at 9.14.45 PM.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

44 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

More horsepower is ALWAYS more fun even if you are not sheikh. Speeding is one thing and jumping from 60-120 in flash is another well within the speed limit. Totally wrong way to think to buy I6 Patrol that will be sluggish like 2.7 liter V4 Prado.

Sorry to be pedantic but the Prado isn’t a V4, it’s an I4. 

V4 engines are extremely rare and I’ve  only ever come across 2 in my life, once in a Ford Consul and once in a Capri. There are others but that’s the only ones I’ve seen with my eyes. The majority of 4 cylinder engines have an inline configuration. V4s are expensive to manufacture, extra costs for a wider block, 2 cylinder heads, 2 sets of manifolds etc. 

The only manufacturer deviating from the inline 4 that I know of now is Subaru with their boxer engine. Porsche and VW have used it in the past. VW abandoned it after the Beetle. Maybe Porsche are still using it, I don’t know, but I think they just use the flat 6 as their base. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Barry said:

Sorry to be pedantic but the Prado isn’t a V4, it’s an I4. 

V4 engines are extremely rare and I’ve  only ever come across 2 in my life, once in a Ford Consul and once in a Capri. There are others but that’s the only ones I’ve seen with my eyes. The majority of 4 cylinder engines have an inline configuration. V4s are expensive to manufacture, extra costs for a wider block, 2 cylinder heads, 2 sets of manifolds etc. 

The only manufacturer deviating from the inline 4 that I know of now is Subaru with their boxer engine. Porsche and VW have used it in the past. VW abandoned it after the Beetle. Maybe Porsche are still using it, I don’t know, but I think they just use the flat 6 as their base. 

I hear ya buddy. It's a pet peeve of mine too and bugs me to no end when people call their inline4 pots V4 !!!!!! Errtrrghhhh!!!!!! It's like nails over a blackboard to me. And worst part is you hear and read it everywhere. In used car advs, people discussing cars, forums, Facebook etc etc.

I guess majority don't know the difference between a V, inline, W or even a boxer setup. Think V is something you just put in front of the number of cylinders a engine has. I think I even read V3 once, got me thinking that must ne one horribly unbalanced engine! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, desertdude said:

I hear ya buddy. It's a pet peeve of mine too and bugs me to no end when people call their inline4 pots V4 !!!!!! Errtrrghhhh!!!!!! It's like nails over a blackboard to me. And worst part is you hear and read it everywhere. In used car advs, people discussing cars, forums, Facebook etc etc.

I guess majority don't know the difference between a V, inline, W or even a boxer setup. Think V is something you just put in front of the number of cylinders a engine has. I think I even read V3 once, got me thinking that must ne one horribly unbalanced engine! 

It does bug me too, but when you know, you have the responsibility to educate people. With knowledge comes power. Not everyone knows even simple things like thinking their oil needs to be changed every 3k instead of every 12k, they believe what they’re told by the dealer. It’s up to us to share real knowledge and not spread bullshit and create the next informed generation of petrolheads. 

• Haha (+1) 2

the vk56vd is a scarce item should the engine go kaboom it doesn't come in any other application except patrol and vk56de is available and shares with armada titan and such so i think you will be enjoying the drive more while you have the 320 hp one as the 400 hp has quite a wicked reputation for it....you can even get a xterra and put a vk56de without the alteration of chassis or motor mounts its a straight fix only the bcm and wiring has to be altered and enjoy much more fun the patrol can ever provide.....

Edited by shadow79
more info
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree with Gaurav on this one, get the biggest you can afford but do test drive both first and see of you really think the difference is worth it. 

I had a Supercharged L322 for a few days and really didn't feel too big a difference between the NA one and the supercharged one. Even after many 0-100 pedal to metal launches. 

Same with a Land Cruiser VXR 5.7 V8 and the  4.5 inline 6. The difference was even less noticeable.

But usually the bigger motors are from the top spec line and all the extra goodies and bells and whistles more than make up for the difference.

Nothing more shitty than dropping a big chunk of cash on a car only to see blanking plates and dummy buttons reminding you, you've bought the low spec model and you are missing quite a few things.

Japanese and American manufacturers are notorious for doing this,  thankfully the Europeans don't follow this route of cheapness. 

• Like (+1) 1