•  
Advertise here

Which parcel Service to use for purchases done on US Website

Srikumar

It's the mentality here. These are basically OEM bits in their own packaging. But people want to see the car name and logo on the packet.

They will pay 120 for NGK plugs in a Toyota package but wont pay 25 for the same plugs in a NGK packet 

9 hours ago, shadow79 said:

the last clutch kit for skumar's cherokee was of valeo and made in mexico or the usa i don't exactly remember that..

Was it fitted to a skimmed flywheel? I agree with @Barry- I have fitted a great many Valeo clutches to all sorts of vehicles, and never had a problem of any kind. If a Valeo clutch failed on skumar's Jeep there must have been something wrong, and it's unlikely to have been the clutch kit.   

the guy who sold me the the clutch kit told me that valeo was the fastest moving clutch kit followed by ac delco then the occasional mopar clutch kit which was the highest in price of them all

yes the flywheel was skimmed it had glazing marks from the last clutch

yes sure there was a problem with s kumar's jeep it had a driver who had prior experience driving a mitsubishi canter on road and the transition from on road to off road wasn't that smooth but now he and the jeep have reached a mutual understanding where they both into real kinky stuff ☺️

Instagra.png

Edited by shadow79
more info
  • Haha (+1) 3

Saleem is right that the issue with the burning clutch was due to my inexperience with a manual transmission especially while offroading. However, that being said once we installed the original Mopar Clutch, it became so light in comparison to the earlier clutch.

But coming back to the original post I have tried boxinus.com as it was a free registration compared to the shop and ship which was charging USD 45 as a one time registration fee. Will post my experience once I get my parcel.

• Haha (+1) 1

First thing I was taught when learning to drive offroad. Clutch is only for moving from a stand still or changing gears. Once you are down with that, move your foot away from the pedal and rest it on the floor or somewhere. 

Because sometimes people like to rest their foot or part of the foot on the pedal but in off road situation going over bumps and i even terrain you might be unknowingly pressing the clutch as you get jostled around the car. So do not ever ride the pedal.

There are very few things in my life that I am proud off. One of those things is Ive never burnt out a clutch but seen it happen many times though!

• Confused (0) 1

@desertdude I have not been ridding the pedal. If that was the case I would be burning my clutch even while driving onroad, forget while offroading. Driving a manual onroad and off-road are two completely  different things.

The mistake was when I was trying to self recover, I would give it a half clutch while reving the engine. The maximum burn used to happen when I used to engage low gear with the clutch half depressed. This was my mistake. Why I did the half clutch, to prevent the engine from stalling.

It took me a few times to realise that the Jeep XJ rarely stalls on 4lo gear and I never have to hold the clutch. So whenever I am in a spot I engage low, release the clutch, and simply give it a bit of gas to get out. Also, I generally keep the Tyre pressure at 10-12 psi so that I don't have any issues. 

Not yet perfected the art of self recovery with a manual. The last Wagan drive, I was stuck in a side ways position in extreme soft sand, and I learnt from Gaurav how to rotate the tyres just the lit bit in intervals without burning the clutch while holding the gas pedal at 2000 - 3000 rpm.

Unfortunately I m not a born driver, but I am willing to learn and have learnt few things the hard way or rather the burnt way..

• Like (+1) 4

faced many issues from break pads flying off belts breaking off to broken radiators and oil sumps' axles missing their balls to clutch cylinder and pressure plate failure tyre having a bulge the size of tennis ball if you just keep calm you might reach home safely without much fuss