•  
Advertise here

Ford Explorer Cylinder Misfire

10 hours ago, shadow79 said:

Did you actually remove the fuel pump relay when the compression test was done...?

No i did"nt... just removed the coil connection

• Confused (0) 1

10 hours ago, shadow79 said:

if only driving on and off road and being a cloud nine machanic has made you loose your rocker then you really don't have the slightest idea of profanity,rage and inventions of swearing up and down goes through. when working for one too many days and yet sometimes being still on square 1 feels like . Or being in middle of something really delicate and that tool slides through in to the engine bay and you using up all the scheduled time only to find that instead of fixing it .or stripping of that bolt which is placed in that corner of the world where only your 2 finger goes only to feel it's head and a spanner only runs quarter of a inch

Been there done that, last year spent and entire day lying flat on an engine trying to undo one 10mm nut that was sandwhiched between the back side of the motor and the firewall , it was not visible so it had to be done by feel and could get only a quarter turn at a time, once spent an entire week trying to pull out an axel half shaft out from the front differential tube one side came out quitely without any issue but the other side was hung up on something, tried everything, heating, pullers, impact guns, jacks.Opened the diff cover so see if we could trying to massage it out from that side or a C clip we were not seeing Seemed like it was welded in their, we were even caught by the cops and taken to the police station because we were working so late at my buddys shop one day. Not a good sight with three greasy dudes looking very suspect at a police station. Eventually we all gave up and changed the entire front diff tube with a used one from the scrappies

• Haha (+1) 2

Just to put some stuff to bed,

Oil in the coolant is a sign of head gasket failure

Coolant in the oil is a sign of head gasket failure 

Bubbles in the coolant is a sign of head gasket failure 

Disappearing coolant is a sign of head gasket failure 

Low compression across 2 cylinders is a sign of head gasket failure

Water in the exhaust is a sign of head gasket failure

Overheating is a sign of head gasket failure 

A failed head gasket can cause any combination of these. The symptoms can also be caused by unrelated problems. The head gasket separates the combustion chamber, oilways and waterways. But just because some symptoms are showing, it’s both wrong and unprofessional to jump to conclusions and pull an engine apart because you think you know better. Proper diagnosis should be made first. I’ve seen a guy with a X5 recently paying for a full rebuild when all he needed was a jubilee clip. But he knew better so I said ok, get a rebuild. He came back to me 6k later complaining his car was still overheating. A 10 minute pressure test would have told him that.

E.g. Creamy mayo on the filler cap? Yeah, might be a gasket problem, might also be a faulty oil cooler, maybe even just condensation because of winter. Nah, let’s pull the engine apart and stick a new gasket in.

Make proper diagnoses and fix things properly first time instead of guessing and getting lucky. I didn’t get to be working on expensive cars just by guessing things. If I was into the guessing game, I’d rent a parking space in rashidiya and survive on 100 dhs per day. There’s nothing UK about it, it’s called being professional.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/25/2018 at 10:41 PM, Gaurav said:

Ok, guys, first and foremost feel free to challenge anyone technically but don't use foul language please, it spoils the whole decorum. We all are grown up and should stick to better language and communication while dealing with technicalities.

Coming back to Asif bhai truck issue, I suspect the same and I have been involved so far with so many self-tests during that drive and seen the symptoms too. Coolant doesn't seem to have any traces of oil and looks crystal clear (visually). Engine oil seems crisp golden without any presence of coolant or water and has no foul smell. Exhaust has no fuel smell while placing the hand for a few seconds. The car has no loss of power yet.

The only thing fishy in the whole diagnostic seems is cylinder 4 throwing the water droplets out, that point to minor head gasket leak. I suspect that HG leak is directly near the exhaust valve and that's why water is resulting in the white smoke at the exhaust and exhaust gas is pushing in the radiator to make air pocket to push coolant to the reservoir. While driving after sometime cylinder temperature is so hot that leaking water droplets cannot produce steam and hence white smoke is disappearing. This is my educated guess.

What desertdude mention to inspect cylinder 4 internal with a flashlight to see the color seems good point as if you can differentiate that appearance with neighboring cylinder then that can confirm the leak. Wait until Saleem can confirm the factory spec for compression results.

@Barry @desertdude @shadow79 @treks is it normal to have faulty (leaking HG) cylinder to have higher compression?

Yes,it is possible. When water (or large amounts of water vapor) is present in the cylinder the water takes up some of the volume of the cylinder, hence, higher compression pressure. Once the water is expelled through the valves the compression pressure will fall back down to about normal- depending on the size of the leak path in the gasket, or worse, the size of the crack in the cylinder head.

However, as someone else mentioned, it is best to these types of test with the fuel system disabled to protect the catalytic converter when the engine starts again. Nonetheless, bear in mind that the object of a compression test in these circumstances is not to find a definitive compression pressure; it is to determine the position of the leak, which will be on the cylinder(s) with the lowest compression pressure. 

Edited by treks
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Old story in short, My Ford explorer Truck is running now with new heart. Swapped with used engine imported from japan. 

Thank you all for your expert advice.  

• Like (+1) 4