•  
Advertise here

Isuzu Trooper Offroad Capabilities

Frederic

59 minutes ago, Barry said:

Parts are available easy in eBay. If you set up a shop and ship somewhere with aramex or ups or somewhere, you can have anything from anywhere in the world delivered in a few days. Complaining about lead times isn’t cool anymore and isn’t an excuse. In this modern day and age, it’s possible if you’re prepared to do a bit of research. If Vin Diesel can get overnight parts from Japan, everyone else should be able to do it. I order a lot of stuff from America for classic mustangs, corvettes, el caminos and other weird stuff and most of it gets here in a few days if it’s organised properly. 

Yeah that works for smaller bits and bobs and myself I've gotten many such, last time I got carbon brushes for my blower motor for just 2 quid after searching sharjah and dubai, everyone wanted me to buy new or used blower motors but getting big and heavy stuff like disc rotors, calipers, radiators etc etc is not cost effective at all, Specially when the car itself is not worth more than 10-12k itself.

Shop and Ship only saves you so much. Unless you are too rich and partially mental, like this guy I knew who sent his entire transmission to be rebuilt to the UK and back, didn't even ask the shop the one locally in the UK and send it to him and it was for a Discovery 1 series. Car itself was worth less than this entire exercise. 

It is worth it for ordering parts. Like you say, if you’re sending stuff away to get rebuilt, prices can get a bit mental. 

For transmissions, you can send them  to dexol in al quoz. I’ve been using them for a long time and their work has always been perfect. 

There are some good engine builders here too. The sad reality is some people don’t recognise quality, they just want to pay the smallest price. Then when they get an engine that burns oil, they complain all mechanics in UAE are crap. They’re not. There are crap mechanics but there are good mechanics but good mechanics won’t work for crap mechanic salary. 

I turn down work every day. I might be a bit crazy but I’m not going to do shite work. I take pride in what I do. If someone wants good work, time costs money. If I had a dirham for every time a customer wasn’t happy with my price and got it done somewhere else then came back and asked me to fix it, I’d have enough money to leave Dubai and sit on my porch playing guitar, listening to Bob Marley and smoke ganja every day. 

I have an emirati friend. He collects datsuns. Every year he sends all his engines to japan for a rebuild. Proper expensive. I asked him if he was mad. He says he doesn’t trust the labour here. And I don’t blame him. He keeps asking me to open my own garage. I’d love to but properly trained mechanics are expensive. I have investors. I can hire one trained mechanic for 10k per month or hire 10 bengalis for the same price and spend my days fixing things they broke. What would you do?

Ill stick to my day job for now

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, desertdude said:

Huh? I was just commenting its not always well most cases viable to order big heavy parts online. Unless you are made of money. What do 10 Bengalis have to do with this? Lol

You know exactly what it means. The amount of men you have in your company is a status symbol. It doesn’t even matter if they don’t know the difference between a 10 and  13mm spanner. If you have 15 employees who don’t know shit, you are more successful than the guy with 2 good mechanics 

• Like (+1) 2

Here if it shows then it sells 

The customer mostly breaks down work to amount of money which is spent they don't care however the work was carried out...

Worst case I saw silicone on head gasket the customer had rebuild it recently somewhere in Ajman 

The saying goes well reap what you sow...

20 hours ago, Barry said:

You know exactly what it means. The amount of men you have in your company is a status symbol. It doesn’t even matter if they don’t know the difference between a 10 and  13mm spanner. If you have 15 employees who don’t know shit, you are more successful than the guy with 2 good mechanics 

TBH that didn't even cross my mind. And most of the garages Ive ever used never had more than 5-7 people max. 

Hell in my garage I had only 4 people. And it was a decent sized outfit with a couple of lifts, paint booth etc etc.