•  

Newbie drive - 4 Jan 2019

Rahimdad

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Let the trip leader know next time in advance and we can plan such stops for drone shots.

Love your second video of capturing the side sloping attempt of the black wrangler. Perfect angle to focus straight into the action from an aerial view. 👍

Thanks! I actually had a pretty good shot of you coming down Fossil Rock, but unfortunately it was a bit too dark by then and it didn’t capture well. Next time!

• Like (+1) 1

A beautiful day with wonderful people. My hats off to everyone for their patience and very happy to have such amazing people on board. Thank you to @Frederic Nuyttens, @MansourZ, @hossein, @Panda82, @jibransayed, @amir.rophail, @Sajith Kumar, @Jocreative, @Javier M, @Emil and @Gaurav for supporting the drive.

My hearty congratulstions to those who have qualified for the Fewbie level. Finally my long awaited wish to be able to take the newbies down Fossil Rock was granted, all thanks to the favourable nature with lots of sand in the area.

The best part for me was to be able to sit back, relax and enjoy some snacks and chat. As everything comes to an end, so did our drive, but really looking forward to many more drives together.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Just now, skumar83 said:

Along with a good bunch of Offroader, we have also got some excellent photographers as well. I know for sure @Gaurav would be smiling.

I'm super smiling since last few months, seeing so many AWESOME photographers like @jibransayed, @BIG T, @hossein, @Jocreative, @Frederic Nuyttens, @Panda82 and many more.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Gentlemen, Good day. Hope all is well. It was my first experience offroading in the desert and I super-loved it. I would like to thank all of you for being such amazing instructors and for the warm, friendly company. And I completely agree with what the marshalls said, as a Newbie I should spend more time getting the smaller details right before aiming too big. ;). It was an absolute thrill riding with you all. I will return for more :)

I had a couple of questions id like to ask, please help me with the same. 

1. The motorola walkie talkie- could you let me know the model name/number for the correct piece, please. 

2. Whats the most important thing I should do post a desert outing- other than the re-infaltion that is.. Should I get my brake pads cleaned post every ride?

3. Any reference (shop no/ name, etc) for the outlets in Dragon Mart that sell the basic kits- Flag pole, Pole suction fitter etc. 

4. Was this the last newbie drive? If yes could I still join in for the Fewbie Drives for experience, ofcourse progressing as per Marshall's instruction on taking on incremental challenges?

Edited by Sajith Kumar
  • Like (+1) 2

Hi Sajith, welcome to Carnity Off-road Club.

1. Regarding the radio it is a Motorola MT777 which you can get in the B Section of Dragon Mart for approx AED 160.

2. Post a desert drive, Incase you have disabled ABS and Airbag by pulling the fuse then just check if all the ABS and Traction Control is enabled. You don't need to clean the brakes.  It's however good to give your car a nice steam wash once in few months, i.e., after a few drives. 

3. For the flag pole there is a dune buggy shop near the exit of the EB Section of Dragon Mart. You would get there the flag and the pole. The suction cup is available in just the opposite hardware shop. Don't recollect the shop number though.

4. We would definitely be having more newbie drives in the upcoming weeks. The fewbies drive might be a faster pace in a slight more challenging terrain. So it would be good that you first understand how to control the throttle and how to manouever your vehicle.

We are all sand crazy people, and we have drives on every weekend throughout the year, be it winter, summer or even Ramadan. Though during those periods we have night drives which has its own flavour and challenge.

• Like (+1) 3

Dear Sajith,

1) Be careful when you source a two way radio at Dragonmart, i have seen lots of fake models that look very similar but logo is slightly different or some functions are not working. In any case it needs to be a UHF model with MANUAL frequency setting option. I went for the Crony 888 in a shop called Fujian which is located in the middle aisle. Both Motorola and Crony are working fine. You'll find that the Baofeng UV-5R are also popular nowadays, there is lots of information available on Youtube about them, but i think the Motorola i still the most reliable one in terms of range and battery life (correct me if i am wrong).

2) Post-offroad: I think this is a very good question you brought up. Yes, i think considering that the sand gets everywhere it would make sense to properly rinse off the bottom of the car after every drive. Some of the sand we come across really sticks as soon as it gets a bit wet and dries up. 

3) In the EB section you'll need to browse around a bit. If i am not mistaken you'll see a shop that sells all these LED Offroad lights on the left side. Go across the other side through the narrow passageway. There is a shop that sells bicycles and kids quads. They have the flags. 

Welcome to Carnity !

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Sajith Kumar. Thank you for your participation and looking forward to many more drives with you. We will have our newbie drives as there are quite a few new comers who need to brush up before going to Fewbie level. You can still join as a passenger in drives above your level, this also gives you a chance to look and learn.

As for the radio, I have the below thread which is very comprehensive, hope this will help.

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use