•  
Advertise here

What is more important and relevant in car service: Time vs Kilometer driven?

I just schedule my Range Rover service with Al Tayer and they said I need to get the major service of 120k kms, while the car is only driven 68,000 kms. Their logic is time-based vs km - whichever comes first.

They gave me this logic last time too when I sent the car for service and they carried out 108k service when the car was 58,000 kms driven. I somehow felt uncomfortable but went with the flow to not to spoil the service history, which has been regularly maintained by the previous owner.

This time it's quite over the top with major service estimate, where they say they have to change rear diff oil and transfer box oil every 5 years or 120k kms.

Is it really required to change rear diff and transfer box oil at 68k kms with 5 years of life.....?

If you say Kilometer driven is prime then why all car manufacturer has this in their maintenance schedule, let alone UAE but everyone uses the same approach globally. Please explain why......?

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

if you don't off road hard or have leaks and that transfer case and the diff are not using some magical oil then leave it its fine....most of the company also recommends changing all rubber pipes at 170k and all those sensors and actuators at 250k too might as well change the car itself when you reach 350k...

there is moisture problems when oil is left out inside those components but those heavy oils change very minutely in properties with moisture and still do what they are supposed to do just fine....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks, guys for the input, appreciate a bit clear response on the actual question:

• Is it really required to change rear diff and transfer box oil at 68k kms with 5 years of life.....?
  • Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

8 hours ago, shadow79 said:

if you don't off road hard or have leaks and that transfer case and the diff are not using some magical oil then leave it its fine....

i told you bhai just forget it if it ain't leaking...or used offroad

As I said it's only for expiry date and some business to make money , global business, maybe something happened if you don't change rear deff on time, who knows, but there is a reason to void warranty, there is some expiry date on the parts, but always they keeps themselves on safe side, opposite the costumers is right at end blaming them, they have average service data on the cars, so they make time tables for service, expiry date is mandatory even for the salt they procedure from one million years mine, selling with 2 years expiry date 🙄

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Thanks, guys for the input, appreciate a bit clear response on the actual question:

• Is it really required to change rear diff and transfer box oil at 68k kms with 5 years of life.....?

My opinion is to get the oil checked outside if it needs changing, by texture and smell you can make out if it really needs to be changed. If it needs changing very much go ahead, but if you can keep it for some more time before you have to make the change than keep it in mind to do it as necessary. Even if you do just an engine oil change they will stamp the book saying serviced. Only when you go and sit with them and ask them for service history the stories will come out how you refused to change the diff oil as recommended by them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1