•  
Advertise here

22 hours ago, desertdude said:

Bigger question is why are going to the dealer for service for an out of warranty car in the first place? Hit a jackpot recently we don't know about?

It's not about the Jackpot, it's about continuing the dealer service history for which I paid a fat premium.

However, looks like time to move out now and get actual 120K service at a quarter the price.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Oils tend to absorb moisture which it can react with and change some properties of oil like viscosity or even make it acidic that can affect metals. 

It is better to replace regularly. It does not cost much if you love your car.

If Oil properties are know, a regular Oil analysis can reveal if you really need to replace Oil.

My honest advice. It’s a nice car @Gaurav and no disrespect intended.

I’ve never bought into the whole service history thing, I buy on condition and I’ve got a lot of fantastic cars and saved a lot of money doing it. 

Sure, you sell it again for less, but you already paid less for it so it all balances out. 

I understand that it’s a Range Rover and we all know can be as fickle as a 40 dhs crack addicted diera hooker and hold you to ransom or just plain rob you for fun.

Once you get into the FRRSH trap, it’s difficult to get out of. It’s hard to go elsewhere to get work done because you’re scared of losing your investment. 

But, time V Kms is a real thing. 

Look at it this way. If you got an awesome deal on a 20 year old Corolla with only 20k on the clocks, the first thing you’re going to do is change the oil and filter along with the timing belt. The timing belt doesn’t need changed for another 40k but it’s a 20 year old piece of rubber and could snap at any time. Smaller financial scale but same problem.

Same with oil. The heat here is intense. Oil breaks down a lot faster than colder countries. I would rather change it for a few dirhams than run the risk of problems down the line. 

Warranty issues don’t come into it anymore, as per a thread I posted a few days ago, the UAE government made it legal to service your car anywhere as long as you stick to the manufacturer recommended service schedule and your warranty will still be valid. But investing in FRRSH is a slippery slope and I’m sad to see you caught in it. 

If you’re going to keep the car for a while, get it done on the cheap. I’ll even do the work for you myself if you buy the parts. If you’re going to stick to the dealer, work out all the parts and labour costs and add them into the final resale value and see if it’s actually worth it. FRRSH might make the car easier to sell again, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get your money back at resale time. 

• Like (+1) 2

OK, Guys, I think this whole thread turning into the big misunderstanding that I'm after cutting corners on oil, which is not true. I'm a kind of guy who gets 10k oil and replaces at 8-9k in all my cars. For offroad even faster at 5-6k due to extreme use.

As per Range Rover manual, it says engine oil change every 12k interval and I am getting at 10k.

This thread was not about engine oil at all. It was about the differential and transfer box oil which is almost doubling the cost (not few dirhams) at the dealership and advised to change at 68K km instead of 120K just because it's completed five years. This almost half mileage change request is bothering me.

Going back to the original question, if everyone thinks here that diff and transfer oil also have an expiry for 5 years, then I'll get it changed.

@shadow79 this Range so far not driven offroad and not started leaking yet as per their leaking DNA.

@Barry I know dealership service history is scam sometimes, but even bigger scams I have seen when you just trust the people words of "regularly serviced" and it has been done just engine oil and filter changed at Enoc for last 10 years. I don't mind paying an extra premium if I get dealer service history to rule out that. And the second reason for this Range was really genuine low kms unlike 200+ kms driven I have seen at half the price.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Change it, it's expensive I know around 120dhs per liter. And you'll need around 4liters for all four. It's cheap insurance. Oil is cheap, diffs, xcases, engines, transmissions are not. 

It's old, heat, oxidization, metal filings have probably broken it down and contaminated it by now. And if you don't drive it often or long enough regularly you probably have moisture build up too.

But don't do it just to keep the service history.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I think someone pointed it out. If the oil is in the original packing, it can stay for even 10 years and it won't have an expiry date. It chemically can't..as simple as that.

However in your engine, transfer case and gear box you do tend to have moisture ingress plus some other foreign elements. These can accelerate the degradation of the additives only, and not the oil. That's the reason why there is a possibility of a so called expiry date on the used oil.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

You can just open up fill plugs and put a finger in to check the level and also the viscosity I am doubtful that it's bad unless bashed hard off road or reversed kms or parked up to the doors in water for a good time....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1