Barry

A few of my favourites,

Sending the new guy to the shop for the following,

A tin of sparks for the grinder

A glass hammer 

A left handed Philips screwdriver

Tartan or striped paint

A pair of Fallopian tubes 

Send someone to get a long stand, but make sure it’s cold. The parts guy would make him stand outside to wait for an hour in the rain then send him back to the garage

Once a guy got sent to the shop to buy a bubble for a spirit level. That backfired and he actually came back with the little glass tube with the bubble in it. 

If someone was a complete AH, they would get the oil line emptied into their toolbox over night. Some guys used to get their lunchbox epoxied onto their toolbox. Again, if they were a major AH, they would get nuts and washers in their sandwiches  

Used to get a piece of string and tie an empty can under co workers cars. Would make an awful noise and take them a while to work out what was going on.

Used to work in a workshop in the days before health and safety. Some pretty hardcore stuff went on there. Guys used to always have an oily rag in their back pocket to wipe their hands and people would sneak up behind them and light it. One guy got his whole back badly burnt. Another thing they used to do, if one of the young guys was giving attitude, they would hold him down and wire brush his knuckles. That ended badly too. One of the kids waited outside for one of the older guys after work and broke his jaw with a stilson wrench.

I used to mess around with airbags when I worked in the scrapyard and blow stuff up, lots of fun. Seen a few videos where people get them put under their seat, I never tried that though. It’s just asking for trouble.

Anybody got any more good prank stories?

• Haha (+1) 3

So you were proven spoiled mechanic if you knew all these pranks to the AH level.

Good, you haven't started your workshop.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I was also burned rather badly when an asshole lit a rag in my pocket. I made sure he got fired. Later, when I had my own workshop, I maintained a strict policy against pranks of any kind- you prank someone in any way, you are fired on the spot before you can hurt someone or damage something. Pranksters should be taken outside and shot- survivors to be shot again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, treks said:

I was also burned rather badly when an asshole lit a rag in my pocket. I made sure he got fired. Later, when I had my own workshop, I maintained a strict policy against pranks of any kind- you prank someone in any way, you are fired on the spot before you can hurt someone or damage something. Pranksters should be taken outside and shot- survivors to be shot again. 

Some pranks are fun, some aren’t. Executors of dangerous pranks should be hung, drawn, quartered, electrocuted, stabbed and shot. 

Outside of that, if it’s funny and nobody gets hurt, I’m always up for a laugh. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 hours ago, treks said:

100% with you on this one. Pranks are immature and infantile