•  
Advertise here

Ticking/clicking noise - Mitsubishi common issue?

I knew it, free stuff is not always good! To answer your questions:

1. Bought used only 2 weeks back.
  2. Noise has been there since I bought it. It just seems more pronounced now, come to think of it.
  3. When I got the car, it has done 108,970 kms. It is now at 109,900 kms.
  4. Oil and oil filter were changed on 10th January.
  5. No idea. When is this supposed to be changed? Car had history with Habtoor until 40,000 kms. So by assuming the worst, only oil and oil filters were changed from that point onwards.

I know a Mobil 1 lube centre in Sharjah. I used to get my previous car's 'minor' servicing there. Should I go for it and see if this solves the issue? 

• Like (+1) 1

To best of my knowledge and experience seems oil issue (90%) or oil pumping failing that is not able to push the engine oil with required force.

Although I'm just an end user and not technician, I will leave the floor now for an experienced technician to advise further.

@Barry @shadow79 @treks what do you guys think.....?

7 minutes ago, hossein said:

Is the LUKOIL is harmful to the engine, still I change the oil in Al Habtoor 😟

Sorry Hossein, no comments on Habtoor choice of LUKOIL but it didnt work out for my car and produced that loud ticking noise in less than 1000 kms, hence changed back to Mobil 1, my most trusted and favorite engine oil brand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Slight correction Mitsubishi was also fully synthetic 5W30 blend, just confirmed from the picture from 16 July 2018 and resulted in ticking noise on 16 Sep 2018 in 2 months within roughly 1000 kms (3-4 offroad drives).

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-14 at 1.25.36 PM.jpeg

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Pajero tappets are badly designed. The hole for the oil to enter is tiny, so any bit of dirt or even the wrong oil can cause them to not work properly. Mitsubishi realised this a couple of years ago and changed the design. The new ones have a bigger hole and are a lot more tolerant to temperature changes, different oils etc. In fact, I don’t think it’s even possible to order the old ones anymore, they will automatically send you the updated ones. Good news is they’re not overly expensive and they’re easily replaced. You can pop the cam covers off and change them one by one so no need to strip the engine, mess with the timing belt etc. Only cost is the tappets, 2 cam cover gaskets and around 2 hours labour, maybe 4-5 if the mechanic hasn’t done it before. 

Are you sure the noise is coming from the top of the engine? It’s a tap tap and not a knock knock? Both are fixable but tap tap is easier to fix than knock knock.

Im off work for a few days, I can take a look at if for you if you like and give you a proper opinion. Feel free to message me. 

• Like (+1) 3

Thanks @Barry. It seems to be more of a tap tap (rattle) than a knock knock. There is a knock during sudden acceleration, but that's another thread/topic, after which I'll probably post about the joys of buying a used car in Dubai!

Anyway, thanks for the offer. I will surely take you up on that. Will message you.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Hi all.

Just to update you on this issue - I have done the following on Friday:

1. Bought Liqui Moly Engine Flush Plus and used it prior to oil change
  2. Changed oil to Mobil 0w40. I've been using this before (different car) and was suggested here
  3. Added Liqui Moly Hydraulic Lifter additive
  4. Said a little prayer prior to starting

So I then started the car and to my surprise...... the sound was still there. I then said to myself, ok let's give this Dhs400 additional unexpected unplanned expense some time. Miracles do happen, I told myself.

So by now the car has ran 250+kms since the oil change.... and the sound is still there. 

The issue with my car is not really consistent with what I've been reading about. During start-ups in the morning, the ticking sound is non-existent. As in none, no trace of it whatsoever. I warm up the engine for a good 5 minutes and still no sound. Only after reaching work (45kms and 30mins drive) do I notice the sound. For sure it started earlier, but obviously I can't stick my head out and listen to the engine while driving just to wait for the sound to come.

In short, perhaps its something else? The lifter theory makes sense but is the complete opposite for my car as it only comes AFTER the car is warmed up. But the sound it makes is identical to what a lifter tap tap sound should be and comes from the top of the engine (70% sure of this). But then my expertise on this is only based on what the interwebs tell me. And despite good offers from guys here in Carnity to check the car, I can't seem to find time to take them up on their goodwill as my schedule doesn't permit.

I've gone to lengths such as when I see a Pajero on the street parked with engine running, I walk near it to listen if it has the same sound. Fortunately (or not), some have them in varying tunes/pitch and some don't (mostly the new ones). 

So this is still a head scratcher for me. Should I go to Habtoor and bite the bullet and have this checked? I am ok to pay them just to check as long as the amount is reasonable and the diagnosis is correct. I can then get it fixed outside. What say you?

• Like (+1) 1