•  
Advertise here

Mitsubishi Pajero head gasket is gone

Instead of knocking I got coolant coming out the exhaust this morning 😓 probably the head gasket is gone. 

Workshop is more keen on putting in another engine instead of doing the head gasket work. They’ve yet to open it up so let’s see where we’ll arrive. No off-road drives for a few weeks I’m afraid.

• Sad (0) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

18 minutes ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

Instead of knocking I got coolant coming out the exhaust this morning 😓 probably the head gasket is gone. 

Workshop is more keen on putting in another engine instead of doing the head gasket work. They’ve yet to open it up so let’s see where we’ll arrive. No off-road drives for a few weeks I’m afraid.

Maybe of morning humidity and dew sometimes happening like that in cold mornings, steam and water coming from the exhaust 

WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY, HOW, the hell in the world you can blow head gasket buddy........!

Overheated and you drove on redline? Was there any leak develop that you ignored? Or any hosepipe busted?

All are unlikely in this winter timing and that too on road usage.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 minute ago, hossein said:

Maybe of morning humidity and dew sometimes happening like that in cold mornings, steam and water coming from the exhaust 

I wish it was only that. Car was fine this morning. I nearly reached work in Jebel Ali when it started to misfire and massive white smoke came from the back. Engine did not overheat. Towed to the workshop and fired it up again: after revving it a bit the white smoke came back accompanied by green water. So it’s a done deal I’m afraid.

• Sad (0) 3

1 minute ago, Gaurav said:

WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY, HOW, the hell in the world you can blow head gasket buddy........!

Overheated and you drove on redline? Was there any leak develop that you ignored? Or any hosepipe busted?

All are unlikely in this winter timing and that too on road usage.

Mystery oh mystery buddy... drove to work this morning like always on normal speed and not redlining. Suddenly started to misfire and massive white smoke. Towed it to the shop and after firing it up again coolant spat out of the exhaust. No hoses broken, temps were fine and stable.

• Sad (0) 1

OMG, that's very sad and surprising.

On the bright side, plonking new Japanese import engine is far better than rebuild as your shape 3.0 engines are very easily available in shj. Must be around 2-3k tops with low mileage. Rebuilding this might cost you 1-5k depending on surprises what it holds underneath. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Thanks (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

I wish it was only that. Car was fine this morning. I nearly reached work in Jebel Ali when it started to misfire and massive white smoke came from the back. Engine did not overheat. Towed to the workshop and fired it up again: after revving it a bit the white smoke came back accompanied by green water. So it’s a done deal I’m afraid.

OMG :( this condition, I wish its not serious damage to the engine 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks. The workshop guy asked me if it was worth doing costs on a 1999 car. The car was fuming but for a little while i was too. He apologized immediately and i don't think he will every ask me that question again 😖

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Another small inquiry:

* According to the wise internet, the second generation Pajero 6G72 3.0 SOHC developed 146HP. The third generation came with a 3.0 SOHC giving 182HP. Given the fact mine is a 2.5 Gen (blisterfender) i am not sure which of the two my engine really is, and i am afraid the workshop might plonk in a "older" generation 6G72.

Hope this helps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Pajero

The second generation was introduced on 22 January 1991 and manufactured until 1999. It retained the two body styles, but design was rounder and more city-friendly than the previous bulky model. The 3.0 L V6 gasoline engine was retained, now available with a 24-valve head, capable of 136 kW (177 hp/185 PS), while the 2.5 turbodiesel's power was slightly increased to 73 kW (98 hp/99 PS). In 1993, the Pajero was slightly restyled, and larger engines were introduced, a 3.5 L V6 with 153 kW (215 hp/208 PS) and a 2.8 L SOHC turbodiesel rated at 92 kW (123 hp/125 PS). These versions introduced Mitsubishi's Super Select four-wheel-drive system (known as Active-Trac in the United States), with an electronic transfer shift that could split power between both axles without the need to stop the car. It worked at speeds up to 100 km/h (62 mph).

• Like (+1) 1