•  
Advertise here

Raised air intake (snorkels) do you really need one?

Javier M

Lately I cant help to notice that there are quite a few number of cars with snorkels. I cant help looking around me and see sand.

I have driven offroad in other countries for many years and never in my life have seen the need to have a snorkel for my car and yet here in this sandbox we all call home I see plenty of cars with it. 

Do you really need one? has the amazons magically appeared somewhere in the UAE?

I know there are some rivers here in the UAE but does it really justify to restrict the air intake of your car? 

I was just wondering since I am fairly new to the country 

• Like (+1) 5

An extremely interesting and highly debatable topic you picked.

Just last Friday while I was riding with an IMC recovery guy, who is an ofroader too, he bought a snorkel for his Pajero and asking me the same question - how it helps and why so many people have them here in UAE?

Although I'm yet to see Amazons jungle and water wading opportunities here in UAE except a couple of weeks in some remote wadi's during the rainy season. In such water wading that has more than 2 feet deep water, such snorkels are helpful so that air intake which is usually placed under the front fender doesn't suck water and stall the engine.

Apart from water wading snorkels practically has no use and instead bring a little toll for sand offroading and cause a restriction and a delay while sucking air through a long tube. Imagine you are breathing with a straw while running. However, this can be managed to some extent, by reprogramming the ECU to adjust the intake long travel.

I agree they look cool and some people I know personally they have fake snorkel attached, just for looks without any alteration of intake and air filter modification. Just like the two antenna mod started with Shkmo on his G500 decade ago, now followed by every G and non-G cars and accessories shops even sells a fake stick on antenna these days.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Yes very good topic. I would only see the purpose of putting the air inlet higher as it’s further away from the engine (cooler), and maybe takes up less sand. The cold air intake units take their air from underneath the wheel fenders, where I can imagine there is lots of sand. 

I like the look, but a fake one is really form over function. 

• Like (+1) 5

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

We have had our own @sertac. With a disconnected snorkel kit probably from the previous owner who put it there for the looks and @sertac used to drive along with it for the looks only.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Gaurav is bang on with his post. It's not needed here, the 0.5 hp you gain from CAI with it is lost with the massive restriction of the snorkel.

Most here usually prefer form over fuction. All these jeepers with armour plated bodies 2 inch steel bunper. 6 inch lift kits massive knoblly mud tyres and enough lights to light up a stadium only use it to go to the beach on the weekend in the winters. 

• Haha (+1) 4

My car was had one. I wish i hadnt. I dont like the looks it messes the simetry. But if you have one you cant remove because some pretty genius person already cut the fender for that.

But the logic in here not for water passes. For getting cleaner air from top. Sometimes when you are driving close there are many sand and dust coming from front car. 

20180915_071750.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, desertdude said:

All these jeepers with armour plated bodies 2 inch steel bunper. 6 inch lift kits massive knoblly mud tyres and enough lights to light up a stadium only use it to go to the beach on the weekend in the winters. 

I have two friends that fall in this category, I just call them mall crawlers. 

I always prefer function over form specially in off-road where a lot of things can and will go wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1