•  
Advertise here

Budget leasing for daily commute

Frederic

I am currently thinking about going for a budget lease instead of racking up too many miles on my 1999 Pajero. I do about 110kms every day and taking into account the fact that a 20 year old truck slurps up petrol at a rate of 14-15 l/100km, there are some savings to be made when going for a cheap budget lease.

Going for a smaller 1.5 liter engine would basically half my consumption to +/-300 dhs per month, while you can get a lease for about 1200-1300 dhs per month that includes maintenance and insurance. At the same time my Pajero can be kept for offroading and camping trips and gracefully go on for another couple of years as weekend warrior.

Instead of going for a lease, i could buy a 10,000dhs semi reliable budget car but that scares me a bit because again it will come with its own costs like maintenance and insurance and possibly breakdowns along the E611 :(  Would a basic Civic or Corolla of max purchase price of 10k really cost less than 1200dhs per month in cost of ownership on a yearly basis ?

Appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Thanks !

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Rent a car is a stop gap arrangement maybe for a month or two. With low prices in the second hand car market I would suggest that you look at a smaller sedan preferably Japanese which has clocked less than 200,000 KMS. Get it thoroughly checked and keep some extra money (approx 2 - 3k) to do the immediate maintenance and repair work on it for piece of mind.

Also out of personal experience stay away from Nissan and their CVTs. I have had two gear box failures in 4 year old Sentras and am having to change the them even before the EMI on the car was completed. An absolute piece of shit.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 1

I completely agree with Sri on this that rent a car is good for a short stay or when you are not sure how long you will be in the country. I have 2 friends who are using rent a car for 24 months, just because they are consultants and there need might be over anytime and they have to pack up within a week or two notice.

Buying a used Japanese is highly advisable and reliable as a daily driver and also such dinkies don't lose on resale value so you can literally swap them every 2 years with an upgraded version for more peace of mind.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I agree with @Srikumar and @Gaurav

Small saloon under 10K with 2-3K for immediate change of battery, all oils, filters, tires, bushes, hose and whatever required to keep it running smoothly and trouble free for the next couple of years, As the resale market for cars is a bit low, try to wait and drive a bargain home so that it does not hurt you when you try to sell it after a couple of years. Much better than paying 1200 - 1500 every month.

• Like (+1) 3

Try to get Mitsubishi Lancer. It is cheaper than Corolla. 3 of my friends have it and all happy with it. Very basic car with 1.6 liter engine and 4 speed auto gearbox. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Thanks Guys ! Will consider both options and take it from there.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."