•  
Advertise here

Stalled camaro :s

I was getting out of work today and my 2010 camaro wouldn't start for no good reason. its probably happened to me for the first time ever so i panicked and couldn't even get someone to come in a take a look at it. left my car at work and took the metro home. I am pretty sure the battery and alternator are the not the cause because i had them looked at last time i took it for servicing ... what other causes could be the reason?

Heyy

To be sure about your problem you need to check the fuel pump .. did you check and notice whether it blew or got damaged? Either that or get the converter checked. its probably the prior since you mentioned that its not the alternator or starter.

What you need is a certified mechanic who you can trust in telling you the real problem. they tend to charge you a lot for itsy pisy stuff

My strongest advise is, go to the car again and try jump starting with your friend's car or some other car and see if it starts after 5 minutes of attaching the leads. Many times battery dies without any prior indication and looks good all way long.

If car still not starting, then get the car to trustworthy mechanic as ashish mentioned.

If car is not cranking at all with jump leads even, then your starter motor (self) is dead. Change that simply.

OR

If car is cranking but not starting then one should look on below points in their priority sequence.

1) Battery isnt weak and not supplying enough cranking amp.

2) Loos battery terminal connection, move them slightly and if they swivel, then remove them clean them and refix it tightly.

3) Check all spark plugs wires are properly inserted and fixed firmly.

4) Check all spark plugs are fine and not jet black (burnt)

5) Check all spark plugs wires (HT lead) supplying enough current

6) Check fuel pump is sending fuel to the engine. To check this turn ignition key half and if you hear on eprime in engine bay for 10 - 30 seconds and then it stops that mean fuel pump is fine and sending and building enough fuel pressure to start the car. You can check the fuel pressure from engine bay fuel line, have small schrader valve that should show around 25 psi of fuel pressure, you can check that with any tire pressure gauge.

7) Suspect the ignition coil.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

This is out of a personal experience. I started the car and it did not respond. I got off and checked for loose wires under the hood. Just touched the battery wires and it started. Right after I replaced the battery, spark plugs and wires, PCM, ICM, fuse box and crankshift position sensor. Never stalled again.

Thanks guys especially shabir for such a detailed response. I am thinking i should take a print out of your post when i have someone look at the car. Anyhow, its been a week now and my car has since never acted up. I went back to work the day after and noticed that the car is clicking/cranking as you are saying but it did not start. I called up Al Ghandi - the dealership and they sent someone down to my office for a check-up. I wish I was around him all the time when he was working under the hood but I was getting continuous calls from my work so I had to divert my attention. In his non-technical language he told me that the battery terminal was loose and some work is required to the spark plugs and wires ... might be damaged i guess? I will be taking it to Al Ghandi for a long check up but yeah since that morning the car seems to be working fine.

When my car did the same thing like you described (it would stall but then would work fine at times too) ... the mechanics could

not find anything as a problem. Nothing with the battery, wires, spark plugs, valves, sensors, etc. As the last resort they reset the

car's computer program ... lol yup that fixed the stalling !!

• 1 month later...

Shabir wrote:

> My strongest advise is, go to the car again and try jump starting with your

> friend's car or some other car and see if it starts after 5 minutes of

> attaching the leads. Many times battery dies without any prior indication

> and looks good all way long.

>

> If car still not starting, then get the car to trustworthy mechanic as

> ashish mentioned.

>

> If car is not cranking at all with jump leads even, then your starter motor

> (self) is dead. Change that simply.

>

> OR

>

> If car is cranking but not starting then one should look on below points in

> their priority sequence.

>

> 1) Battery isnt weak and not supplying enough cranking amp.

> 2) Loos battery terminal connection, move them slightly and if they swivel,

> then remove them clean them and refix it tightly.

> 3) Check all spark plugs wires are properly inserted and fixed firmly.

> 4) Check all spark plugs are fine and not jet black (burnt)

> 5) Check all spark plugs wires (HT lead) supplying enough current

> 6) Check fuel pump is sending fuel to the engine. To check this turn

> ignition key half and if you hear on eprime in engine bay for 10 - 30

> seconds and then it stops that mean fuel pump is fine and sending and

> building enough fuel pressure to start the car. You can check the fuel

> pressure from engine bay fuel line, have small schrader valve that should

> show around 25 psi of fuel pressure, you can check that with any tire

> pressure gauge.

> 7) Suspect the ignition coil.

>

> Hope this helps. Good luck.

Very helpful thanks