•  
Advertise here

a few simple questions

I have two questions,

firstly why would my 2006 malibu be rattling severely just when I would start to accelerate. Its pretty much back to normal once the engine's temperature is stable and I am driving away. Only happens when I start my car and take off.

secondly is it a good idea to have the bumper removed for a re-paint on it. My car is spotless, just the bumpers are ruining the look for it. An ideas about how much this costs and the time involved? this is the only car i have and i go to work on it. I find the metro traveling dreadful in the morning.

Hi Haroon,

you might want to look into the rattling problem with a professional ... or maybe someone else might be able to help you here. As far as the bumper is concerned, I have gotten mine removed ample times especially I remember when I hit a curb .. i had it removed for denting and painting ... just ensure that it is bolted and screwed back on properly. Don't want your bumper to fall off. Pros do a good job at it.

In simple terms - do you think your engine is rattling which is what you feel when you start the car and accelerate?

When a person is experiencing excessive engine rattling the problem is related to bad motor mounts which are located around the engine for its stability and alignment. If they have gone bad then you may feel and hear your engine rattle excessively and this might go away when you have reached a certain speed. You may also feel the vibration when you are accelerating heavily since these mounts are not able to compose the engine in its right place during that time.

Hope this explanation helps you.

Apart from checking the mounts, suspension, etc you also need to check all your panels in the interiors for any rattling sounds since I am not sure you know precisely why the rattling is caused. There are different kinds of rattling and rattling noises that you can come across in when you own a car. you did mention that the rattling occurs during acceleration and that might imply that the problem can be found from the engine to anywhere till your transmission/gearbox but when the car is accelerating any loose panel inside the car may rattle as well. What do you think is the cause of the rattle? is something shaking or is there a rattle sound coming from one side of the car. more details will help us understand your problem more. Good day.

Whoa i didn't think there would be so many explanations from one problem. sorry I was not descriptive about my problem. My steering wheel shakes, the gearbox seems to shake severely when i accelerate and there is a distant rattle sound that I heard

which seems to be very different from the above two problems. Now that Mahajan has mentioned that the "Rattle Sound" could come from the interior panels as well I will try to identify the source of that noise as well next time. But what do I do about my shaking power steering and gearbox?

Shaking steering need alignment, wheel balance, axle boot if its torn or out of grease. If shake is persistent in all speed especially low speed then axle boot and it shake is more evident at slightly higher speed above 40-50 then wheel balancing. Better show to some good mechanic that can feel the judder and advise precisely.