•  
Advertise here

Ecoboost technology

Hi guys,

Just wanted a couple of ideas on this technology which is said to be available in the ford focus - do you think that the ecoboost technology really works ... does it really give you full performance along with good fuel economy? Has someone been really able to save up on fuel due to this technology?

heya!

The ecoboost basically delivers the performance of a 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder with better fuel economy whereas the car only has a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine respectively .. There are mixed feelings about this system because some reviews state that Ford has overstated the technology and it doesn't work that well whereas some reviews have shown sales figures' increase because of this technology and Ford continues to produce more ecoboost technology vehicles.

Well Ford wanted to create a small engine with a turbocharger for that "good fuel economy" factor ... HOWEVER *drum rolls please* reviews have proved that turbocharged engines produce worse fuel economy when they are placed under high load ... so ford incorporated it as a selling tactic - dont get me wrong the technology is great but they need to be applied like hyundai is to its sonata - the engine needs to be powerful enough so that the turbocharger is not used in the city or the highway - turbochargers should only come into play when it is okay to forget the 'good fuel economy' concept.

This is a lot of technical information to digest but i appreciate everybody pitching in. if what leo has said is the case, i wonder why ford is continuing with their production of ecoboost technology cars ... why would they want to bring a bad name upon themselves. Oh well i guess a large part of the buyers are still convinced with this technology.

Thanks again everyone