•  
Advertise here

Specific batch problems?

nicholas

I am not a very happy Honda owner right now. At 7000 miles the dealer replaced the original brake pads because of the slight grinding noise that I was complaining about. They said that there was a problem with "only that specific batch". At 12000 miles the noise started to get louder. This weekend at 18000 the noise is louder than ever before and a lot more frequent. Went to the shop again today. They could not hear the noise and since the pads were replaced with the so-called "upgraded" pads they could not do any more. Intermittently, I can still hear the noise.

Figured it's about time I asked a few Honda fanatics on this site for some advice.

• Like (+1) 7

Sounds familiar. I also had the grinding that only happened intermittently so I took it to Honda thinking it was just the brake pads. I was pleasantly surprised however, when Honda replaced our brakes and rotors as a 'one time' good faith repair. Brake pads are usually under normal wear and tear which is why they don't qualify. They were of the opinion that my brakes were in a condition that was not normal so they tried to smooth down the rotors, but that didn't work, so they replaced them. I haven't had a problem since.

My suspicion is that I'm not the only one with this problem, and that there might be some unannounced recall or something.

• Like (+1) 3

Ajay the Ceramic brake pads typically have lower friction coefficients ... and act as an insulator - raising rotor temperatures in

cast-iron disc systems. When you have a vehicle that has persistent braking problems, the last thing you want to do is install

components that have a LOWER friction coefficient and that RAISE effective operating temperatures.

I had the same experience. They replaced the master cylinder which did not help. At the second service call the service department called the engineers at Honda who suggested several tests. Finally, they replaced the ABS Modulator and this seems to have solved the problem.

Griyaz Don't know what you are on mate!! The ceramic ones dissipate heat well, which keeps performance strong, even after repeated hard stops. They also don't break down very much with repeated use which means they produce less dust than other types of brake pads. The dust that they do produce however, is lighter in color and doesn't stick to the wheels.

Ajay ERRrrr ... Sorry but i gotta agree with griyaz on this one. Premium-grade semi-metallic or hybrid pads are more effective for handling elevated temperatures and dissipating heat away from rotors. Most, if not all, semi-metallic pads have a degree of ceramic content ALREADY IN the brake pad.

I am glad to hear I am not the only one having issues with my brakes. I have a 2008 Honda Odyssey and the brakes constantly grind when I am stopping. I have taken it to the work shop twice before and they told me everything looked great, blah blah. And then two weeks ago, I took it in again because of the annoying noise. I said it feels unsafe and I have children with me at times too.

I was told...and I quote "That is not abnormal for the Odyssey. It's a big car and weighs a lot. So once it's been driven for a while

and the brakes are warm they make that sound."

That just sounds ludicrous to me. I don't know what else to do. I am at my wits end...