•  
Advertise here

How does it handle in the desert?

nasra

Hey guys,

So I've been considering getting a clean used commander to replace my wrecked Grand Cherokee for the desert. Any of you Commander owners been tearing up some dunes? If so, how does it perform so far?

Please give me your feedback as I need to make a decision soon before the season is over. I would have loved to get a wrangler, but it's just too small and wont hold enough ppl/gear for camping.

Thanx in advance!

Nasra

Buy at least 4.7 L or 5.7 L hemi, they are good and powerful as per vehicle weight.

Stay away from 3.7 please. Second advise it has bit of plastic in approach and departure angle on bumper, so be ready to loose it some day in desert. Rest all they good and my friend had for 2 years with occasional use in sand including some serious off road in sweihan and Al wagan. They are good in desert, if you are little careful. Good luck and good choice any day over wrangler if space, comfort and number of people is priority

• 4 years later...

I had the Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi 2006 Black and recently a 5.7 Hemi 2008 Silver.

The Jeep Commander is more than capable, but you need to take care of these 3 things and than you are good to go.

1) Since the ground clearance is a bit low you need to lift it by 2 inches and the only lift kit for the Jeep Commander is a Coil Spring Spacer, however due to comfort the suspensions are soft and you just need to drive and get used to them.

2) Please install a bash/skid plate in the front as the radiator and hoses are open up in front, the rest of the car's undercarriage is well protected.

3) Find a way or add a button to switch of side airbags, very sensitive and will deploy specially during criss crossing the dunes, that is, from 45 degree angle on the left travelling to the other side of the dune at 45 degree on the right or vice versa, the car thinks its has turned 90 degrees and releases the curtain airbags which are very expensive to repair.

Hope this helps.

• Like (+1) 1