•  
Advertise here

jeep xj 1998 help

hi all. 20june2013 i barely reached a shop in sharjah when overheated/no more start.

inline 4Li motor removed by shop b4 i could really say no.

forgave them, & brought all to shop in ajman.

tried rebuild it but too much sound when in gear.

so, now looking to replace engine.

pls help, i love this jeep. & any idea also.

• 2 weeks later...

You can try sourcing a used engine from Japanese or American Import in Sharjah. After crossing sahara center in Sharjah, there is one very big tire market is there. Behind that tire market, there are many scrap yard selling these used engine and spare parts.

Alternatively you also can try on Geko roundabout scrapyard market and behind al falah plaza scrapyard market. These all three is in sharjah.

Well my advise is exactly opposite than sumer suggested, only because you mentioned that you love this ride and like to keep it.

In my opinion get your engine head and block checked if its in rebuilding state. If yes then get all the original parts and get the engine rebuild with nice professional guys. Part would cost around 3k + labor would be around 2k, so in all 5k - 6k with all unexpected extras you will give your jeep a new life for another 10 years to come.

With used engine and fitting you might spend 3k, but again you don't know at what stage of life that engine comes from and its like a gamble and playing blind call that can be lemon in end. If you do it twice you will be in same budget of rebuilding it once but properly. Rebuilding engine gives you that special confidence and pleasure to see and feel every part of your jeep that you love and you will always remember as an experience of lifetime, as you don't rebuild engine often.

hi again. yesterday's been a while since i last heard my xj engine purr.

i m gratefulto sumer & sachin replies.

i say each route proposed is valid hereabouts/uae, depending on premise, as sachin's route clearly exemplified.

i was ready to go d R/R way; replace w/ used engine.

but against d advice of d garage mngr & his Lt., i stuck w/ having a go at d orig engine.

i talked to d mech via interpreter(the Lt.), declared my belief in both d engine's status & d mech's

ability... w/ no expectn of guarantee... i been thru lots of 'moments' on d streets;i once again allow similar 'no-mind'paradigm this time. but i really prayed a very short prayer. (yall may not dig that, but i got a good reason for taking d easy way out)

i's gonna say more here now but i m on my iphone ...but will try later/elsewhere.

hopely, now my xj will begin another push to right itself, w/ some friends' help.

& m grin'g from ear to ear. i forgave d shj shop, but i wish to warn them not to augment themsels w/ that kind of banditry

(or ignorance, if one can believe that).