•  
Advertise here

Rear drum brakes?

hello there everyone - i wanted more information on why the rear brakes on a 06 elantra are called rear drum brakes and what is the process of changing them if required. I feel that mine are worn out and need replacing although i cant say for sure since i am no expert. i searched online and found some tips on how to do it. is this really a do-it-yourself kind of a process or should i be contacting someone for help?

Drum brakes are present in the older versions of some hyundais.. i guess they have now changed the drum brakes to disc brakes.. anyways .. theyre part of just some old kind of braking system. Some cars have front wheels with disc brakes since front wheels are more functional when the car is braked but then again it depends on the model year. These kind of brakes lost effectiveness in today's driving which is why disc braking systems were introduced.

i havnt seen a vehicle with drum brakes for a long time. the process consists of removing the rear wheels, the drum where all the braking components lie by unbolting the screws and pulling it off the hub. Accessing the braking shoes is the main part ... and once done the drum needs to be inspected for any worn out areas or components.

IMO i won't take risks on DIY if your unfamiliar with the brake system. Needless to say brake is one if not the most important part of every vehicle. no expert here but if you here continuous squirting sound while braking, i think its time to check and replace a part of it.

cheers!:)

"FROST" 2014 Santa Fe DM 3.3L