•  
Advertise here

why is the blower working but not cooling in my BMW

• 4 years later...

Evaporator can leak in the X5. I've done a couple. Full day to remove the dash and put everything back in.

On a side note, the last one I done had been involved in an accident and the owner didn't know about it. I found resistors connected to the wiring loom where the airbags should have been.

Simply keeping topping up the gas isn't a sensible option. If the pressure is going down, the gas is obviously escaping from somewhere and the leak needs to be fixed. AC gas "probably" won't do you much harm but if it's heated, the chemistry changes and it becomes toxic.

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Sure the problem was resolved for user.. but I have a x5 2006 model as well, other than a renault duster.

I had this issue and for me it was funny fix did top up the gas with local shop which did not last more than a month.

When I returned back to ac techs there disclaimer was to change the compressor as pressure was not correct and gas was still full .

Compressor was intermediately working and cooling bleakly.

I suspected it for some minor issue and refused to change the compressor without a through diagnosis.

Eventually i ended with a ac tech in sharjah itself who said all that was needed was a genuine gas, so he vacuumed the old gas give some oil in the compressor(i have seen very few techs knowing this trick , i tried in Honda jazz before which lasted 4 years until i sold) refilled original gas... there you go its perfect now chilling like an ice

I am not much knowledgeable about cars as many of you but for me to buy solution i need logic to it... most of the times we just buy the ideas of techs and repair parts and things which are really not required.

We mostly buy pre owned cars and they are bound to have maintenance requirement after a period of time :)

All the best for BMW users BMW indeed are ultimate driving machines... .dont give up and take a second opinion if in doubt for minor issues on your cars.

Original gas? 🤔

There are only really 2 types of gas used in car AC systems. R134 and R12 (Freon). Manufacturers stopped using R12 in 1995 because it is proven to damage the ozone layer. 

In saying this, there may or may not be some unscrupulous mechanics out there who think they know better than the engineers who designed the system and try to use Freon in R134 systems because “it runs colder” but the truth of the matter is the system wasn’t designed to run on it and it can cause problems, never mind the environmental factors. There’s also a chance they may be using R22 or R410 which is designed for home AC systems. 

If a vehicle is post 1995 and a mechanic suggests anything other than R134, it’s time to find a more knowledgeable mechanic. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Honestly, I only have 2 years experience in AC. I'm from a cold country where it isn't needed but when I came here I had to learn fast. Read the workshop manual, stick to original manufacturers specifications and you can't go wrong.

9 times out of 10 the required weight of gas and volume of oil are printed under the bonnet. Adding oil with UV dye can help find leaks. If you have a machine, even better. Just connect the hoses, input the amounts and hit start. Some machines even have a facility to select make, model and year and are fully automatic. Machines are so cheap now that nobody should be using a manifold and a gas bottle. But in saying that, the manifold is a very helpful tool for troubleshooting.