•  
Advertise here

why is the blower working but not cooling in my BMW

Your A/C system may have lost its charge of refrigerant, or the compressor may not be engaging when you turn on the A/C, or the blend air door inside the HVAC unit may be stuck in the HEAT position so no air goes through the A/C evaporator.

Start with the compressor. Does it engage when you turn on the A/C?

If so, the compressor is working and the A/C system probably contains enough refrigerant to make cold air, so the problem is inside the HVAC unit. Replace the motor that controls the blend air door (this is a difficult job and best left to a professional since it involves tearing apart the HVAC unit -- about an 8 to 10 hour job!).

If the compressor does not engage when you turn on the A/C, see if it will run by jumping the compressor clutch wire directly to the battery (use a fused jumper wire). If the compressor works when you jump it, and the A/C blows cold air, the system contains refrigerant and the fault is likely a bad A/C compressor clutch relay or a bad clutch cycling switch or pressure switch.

If the compressor does not engage when you jump it, the problem is a bad compressor clutch.

If the clutch engages but the compressor does not turn (the belt will start to slip and squeal), the compressor is locked up and you need a new compressor.

If the compressor clutch engages and turns the compressor, but the A/C still does not blow cold air, the system is probably low on refrigerant and needs to be recharged.

If it is out of refrigerant or is low, check for leaks, then have the A/C system vacuum purged to remove air. After the air is out, it can be recharged with the specified amount of refrigerant. It is important to get any air out as this will reduce cooling efficiency and may make the compressor noisy.

My advice to you if you know nothing about A/C service is to find a repair shop that specializes in A/C repairs and let them fix your cooling problem for you. Today's A/C systems with automatic climate control are very complex and require special tools and know-how to diagnose and repair.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Grozni, its exactly a year back and i rem what happened last summer. lol.

Its the AC gas freon was low or rather very low due to some leak in HVAC line. I have gone to sharjah on BMW road to garage behind BMW road (dont rem the name they have many BMW parked). They fixed it and recharged the gas and costed me 300 dhs i think.

Your A/C system may have lost its charge of refrigerant, or the compressor may not be engaging when you turn on the A/C, or the blend air door inside the HVAC unit may be stuck in the HEAT position so no air goes through the A/C evaporator.

Start with the compressor. Does it engage when you turn on the A/C?

If so, the compressor is working and the A/C system probably contains enough refrigerant to make cold air, so the problem is inside the HVAC unit. Replace the motor that controls the blend air door (this is a difficult job and best left to a professional since it involves tearing apart the HVAC unit -- about an 8 to 10 hour job!).

If the compressor does not engage when you turn on the A/C, see if it will run by jumping the compressor clutch wire directly to the battery (use a fused jumper wire). If the compressor works when you jump it, and the A/C blows cold air, the system contains refrigerant and the fault is likely a bad A/C compressor clutch relay or a bad clutch cycling switch or pressure switch.

If the compressor does not engage when you jump it, the problem is a bad compressor clutch.

If the clutch engages but the compressor does not turn (the belt will start to slip and squeal), the compressor is locked up and you need a new compressor.

If the compressor clutch engages and turns the compressor, but the A/C still does not blow cold air, the system is probably low on refrigerant and needs to be recharged.

If it is out of refrigerant or is low, check for leaks, then have the A/C system vacuum purged to remove air. After the air is out, it can be recharged with the specified amount of refrigerant. It is important to get any air out as this will reduce cooling efficiency and may make the compressor noisy.

My advice to you if you know nothing about A/C service is to find a repair shop that specializes in A/C repairs and let them fix your cooling problem for you. Today's A/C systems with automatic climate control are very complex and require special tools and know-how to diagnose and repair.

I forgot to thank you last year BMguy, you were very nice in explaining so many possibilities with your knowledge.

I got selfish and busy after car is fixed and didnt even realized to thank you for your help. I am sorry man. :oops:

• Like (+1) 1

Hi,

I did A/C check in AGMC which will cost me 1200 and verdict is compressor.

They are asking me for 10000 DHS to put a new one and i need to wait 10 days since part is not available in UAE so they need to ship it from Germany(stupid, considering that this is Middle East and temperatures are 40+).

Called Munichworks, they have it and cost for whole shebang is 6200.

Who is crazy here?

Hi,

I did A/C check in AGMC which will cost me 1200 and verdict is compressor.

They are asking me for 10000 DHS to put a new one and i need to wait 10 days since part is not available in UAE so they need to ship it from Germany(stupid, considering that this is Middle East and temperatures are 40+).

Called Munichworks, they have it and cost for whole shebang is 6200.

Who is crazy here?

really this is very bad!!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...