•  
Advertise here

Strange noise ... help needed

jacku

Salaam friends!! Ramadaan Mubarak to you all!!

I have had my Lexus GS 300 (2002) for about 4 years now. To be honest, I have never really had any major issues with it but lately there is a 'ping' kind of a noise which comes from the engine when I accelerate from low speeds. I am a huge fan of Lexus because of it's proven track record when it comes to reliability so I am wondering if this has anything to do with mileage as it has just crossed 85,000 miles. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

P.S Only happens at low rpm.

howdy. The pinging noise u hear cud be from the belt tensioner. have a mechanic check it out. apart from that make sure the grade of fuel u use is not less than 93. if u do then might be your culprit. And jerry is right about the lexus cabin being quite ... you should be able to make out where the noise is coming from. Cheers!

hello, i agree with the fuel theory put forward by Jerry but on top of that i know out of personal experience that the build-up of carbon deposits on the top of the pistons or at the bottom of the valves causes a 'pinging' noise to come from the engine. this a very common problem with higher-mileage engines as it artificially increases the compression ratio inside the cylinder.

Umm... I had a similar problem once although the noise only came when the engine was cold. It turned out that the lines running from the engine through the firewall were rubbing up against each other creating the noise. They insulated those lines and the issue was gone. Discuss that with the technician and don't forget the advice I gave earlier.

• 2 months later...

This is the sixth Lexus that my family has owned, not to mention the fact that I still have my grandad's 1982 as well. I am actually a very capable driver, something which all my friends and family can testify to. Oh and 125000+ eh? when you will encounter the same problem too you will know how it feels like especially because the service adviser told me that he had seen several of them which needed to be replaced around fifty to sixty thousand miles too.