•  
Advertise here

Engine tapping noise

alila

Salaam everybody. I have a 2007 model ES 350 with 30 thousand on it. From when I bought it used about three years ago I noticed an engine tapping noise after starting the engine cold. After driving a short distance though, the noise goes away. The car has no issues and drives perfectly fine. The Lexus people acknowledge the noise and claim it is either a piston slap or the fuel injectors. They say the sound is 'normal'and I should not worry a lot as it is not 'harmful' for my car. Well I am still worried because the car is used by me and my family members for both city and highway driving. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

No no ali ... A piston noise is very different from an injector noise. Go to a qualified technician for a better idea and plus you will find out the difference between these two kind of noises. If they tell you its not important make sure you tell them how important it IS for u.

i can sorta relate to that noise in a way because my ES 2004 made a noise like that too. maybe not as loud as a piston slap but there was always a strange sound. to be honest the part about it not being harmful is correct as it never caused any problems for me.

thanks guys ... I am headed in the right direction thanks to your help. I am planning to take it to the dealership and hopefully they will hear what I am hearing. It might be a possibility that they tell me that its nothing at all since the noise is not very distinctive. Anyways, waiting for the Eid holidays to end. Oh btw ... Eid mubarak brothers!

• 4 weeks later...

Many different cars when old, behave this way on startup which is SUPER PERFECTLY BLOODY NORMAL. When engine is cold and so as engine oil, Oil pump takes few seconds to build oil pressure to start reaching on top cover where tappets and kind of running dry for first 15 secs - 30 secs. This is really a normal behavior with car getting that old, max you can do is to stick to fully synthetic oil as two of members advise so that it reaches the engine head faster due to its thinner viscosity and long life.

• 4 weeks later...

Salaam everybody. Thanks for all the suggestions. I have one more possibility to consider - one which was put forward by an old friend. The engine ticking noise is due to the direct injection system. His family has owned several Lexus' since he was a boy - which is why I highly value his opinion. What do the experts here say about that?