•  
Advertise here

CX9 2012 Sunroof exploded

imanlang

I was driving yesterday in highway then suddenly i heard a sound similar to gunshot. Realized it was my sunroof exploded. Highway was clear and no traces of stones/debris that hit the glass. It seems that it just exploded as the remaining glass are opening towards outside. Does anyone had the same experience? My car is just 1 1/2 yrs old. Is this still cover under warranty?

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, that's a really weird finding man. Never heard or seen something like that. Do you roll down window when you pick car from parking lot in a day time for a minute or two. May be too much heat inside added with AC cooling must have knocked the glass.

Still its kind of weird as AC has plenty of ventilation to suck hot air out.....! This should be covered in warranty if not sign of stone hitting or accident (i assume).

i usually open all the windows as i myself can't withstand the heat, usually 2-3 minutes with full A/C on.

just to update what happened, the car was with the dealer for few days as i requested them to do fault analysis, i also shared some pictures to them showing the center glass was gone after the explosion and the remaining glass was opening upwards. their response was "caused by external force". sadly, this is too vague.

anyway, i have my car back after insurance covered the damaged....now driving - never to open again the sunroof cover!