•  
Advertise here

2010 Mitsubishi Eclipse review

Mitsubishi took the name for their Eclipse sports car from an 18th century English racehorse, which took 26 victories during its lifetime.

The car of the same name doesn’t quite have the same sporting heritage, but it does offer buyers a distinctive coupe with sporty looks, although the performance is nothing extraordinary.

The Eclipse traces its heritage back to 1990 and is now on its fourth generation, introduced in 2006 and given a few tweaks in 2009. It’s often popular with younger buyers, due to its relatively low price, starting at just 76,000AED.

That kind of money gets the entry-level GS, powered by a 2.4-litre, four-cylinder engine making 162bhp. The GS features a rear spoiler, dual exhausts and a sunroof as well as cruise control and 17-incha alloys.

For an extra 20,000AED, you can upgrade to the Eclipse GT. This ups the horsepower to 261 by way of a 3.8-litre V6 engine and replaces the GS’s four-speed automatic with a more modern five-speed version. Inside, the GT gets sports seat, while the steering wheel now has audio controls mounted on it. Outside, it rides on 18-inch alloy wheels.

Various premium packages are offered on both vehicles – check with your dealer for the latest information.

Although the Eclipse has four seats, anyone larger than a very small child is advised to stick to the front and use the rear bench for shopping. Safety features include ABS and electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD), as well as front, curtain and side airbags.

SOURCE: http://automiddleeast.com/2010-mitsubishi-eclipse/

• 2 months later...

Always wanted to write a review about my Mitsubishi "September" Eclipse.

Believe it or not when I bought the GT V6 3.8L which I thought was going to be the 2010 model, I was given the 2009 model instead, with the wrong interior colour, no bluetooth, no sensors, no rear camera. It was upsetting, but for a first car I was not too upset about it.

Throughout the first few months I have learnt alot about the car. The 2009 Eclipse is incredibly fast, most reviewers mention that 0-100 is around 6.9 - 7.2 seconds, however this is untrue. Considering the car comes with an advanced air intake, it is still recommended to buy the K&N Air Filter which increases hp, and boosts up the car. Even without the filter, my record for 0-100 has been 5.6 seconds, and to be honest I have tested it more than a few times.

Unfortunately the car only comes with 5 gears, which lacks its upkeep in speed. The handling of the car is fantastic, and the car handles well on rainy days. The rear seat is actually completely useless. If you are taller than 5 foot, I guarantee that no-one will be able to sit behind you while you drive, I think it has been solely designed only for show.

The sound system in the car is great too, although I did blow my left door speaker within the first few months. The overall experience with the car is great, I love it and yes it is a superb car, although if you ever do get your hands on one, I would suggest to get a few modifications done to it, just to make it a little meaner looking as most people doubt the Eclipse. ;)

• 1 year later...