•  
Advertise here

What is Timing Belt change in Galant

Hello All. I have Mitsubishi Galant 2008 model since last two years and recently car misbehaving little bit, went to my trustworthy mechanic and he diagnose its time to change the spark plugs. After changing the plugs car behave properly but out of curiosity as im closer to 100k kms mechanic checked the timining belt and advise it need change soon so i need to leave car for a day and it will cost me 1500 dhs for that bloody rubber belt. After hearing this, i doubted my regular mechanic and it seems time for a change.

Can anyone help me understand that what exactly timing belt is? How expensive it is? How expensive it is to change? How long required to change? I have only one car and can't leave the car for a day as i am in sales and have regular client visits. Thanks guys.

Timing belt is very important and integral part of all engines, that controls and sync the rotation of crankshaft and camshafts to open and close engine intake and exhaust valve at specified timing. It basically control at what time which intake valve should open and throw the air and fuel mixture and at what time exhaust valve should open to throw the exhaust gas out. Each of this happening in all cylinders and at many times in one minute. Higher the rpm more number of times timing belt will rotate and do its job.

Timing belt is made with rubber and off course it has a age. Mitsubishi engine timing belt replacement time is close to 100 or 120k kms, better check with your owners manual or call habtoor to get specified service in which timing belt change is recommended. When its old, it tend to slip or even break. And its better to change timing belt in recommended period or even slightly early than breaking it. If it snaps, it will do lot of internal damage and might break or bend some valve stems and pistons. Why I am saying slightly earlier than recommended period because in Dubai heat rubber might wear off faster than its expected.

As you know the job is so serious and lengthy, it needs its own time to be done right at first time as there is no room for mistake. If mechanic goes wrong in setting perfect timing then car won't start simply or if it starts then stall after few seconds with blup blup means some valve timing is not well matched. Matching timing is not rocket science as all timing belts and belt bearing have their markings what mechanic need to read and set it at that specific mark. Its usually half day job, but though due to uncertainty involved in doing it more than once mechanic usally quote for a day or two to keep your mindset ready.

Belts are not that expensive, it will be under 200-300 dhs but labor job is quite tedious and careful work that require 6hrs - 10 hrs of labor charges. 1500 of your mechanic seems just right or tad higher than non certified rates at habtoor. No harm calling habtoor and checking their price too, if they cost 2000 or close then i suggest give it to habtoor and have better peace of mind for such serious job that you do once in 100k kms.