•  
Advertise here

Transmission problems!

hi friends. i have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. a few months ago the transmission started getting a little sticky but i didn't take it too seriously. then it got increasingly harder to shift gears. now shifting gears requires more strength than an arm-wrestling match not to mention the terrible shuttering sound it makes. my research tells me i am heading towards a total transmission failure. have any other Pathfinder owners ever had this problem? any suggestions?

hi benson,

i know exactly what u r talking about. this is basically a radiator problem. several fluids get mixed in the transmission causing it to get contaminated. i hate to tell u this but u should brace yourself for some major repairs.

hi guys,

A lot of nissans manufactured between 2004 and 2009 have this problem. its surprising to know this and its a pity the guys over at nissan didnt even bother to recall them. i think people will start to think twice before they set their hands on these vehicles!

i don't think its any of the things mentioned above guys ... its just a design flaw which causes the radiator coolant to get mixed with the transmission fluid. Anyways, this isn't the time to jump to conclusions ... benson it is most advisable to take the car in for professional help. Hopefully things will get back on to track. Even if we were to help, we are not present in person to know for sure!

benson wrote:

> hi friends. i have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. a few months ago the transmission started

> getting a little sticky but i didn't take it too seriously. then it got increasingly

> harder to shift gears. now shifting gears requires more strength than an arm-wrestling

> match not to mention the terrible shuttering sound it makes. my research tells me

> i am heading towards a total transmission failure. have any other Pathfinder owners

> ever had this problem? any suggestions?

I don't know you and you don't know me. But I am going to ask you a very basic question. What did you do when you first observed that the transmission was shifting weird? Did you check the transmission oil level in your car? Did you check if the transmission lines were blown or leaking thereby emptying the transmission oil in your car? Did you flush out the transmission oil and put in new oil?

Don't get me wrong here. I am not calling you irresponsible; but it is easy to miss the basic maintenance checks/actions that need to be performed on a SUV.

What would I do if I were in your position? This is what I would do in the following order:

1) STOP DRIVING THE CAR IMMEDIATELY.

2) Check all fluid levels in your car. This includes Engine Oil, Transmission fluid, Transfer Case fluid, Front Differential and Rear Differential.

3) If all the levels check out, TOW your car to the nearest trusted mechanic.

4) Purchase oils that fulfill or exceed Nissan specs. Royal Purple is a personal favorite of mine. You will never ever be sorry if you switch to Royal Purple Max ATF and 75w90 oils.

5) Flush the transmission oil by using Nissan's recommended method. This involves:

(i) Drain and fill Transmission oil in the Transfer Case and Transmission Pan.

(ii) Disconnect the transmission cooler line, start the engine.

(iii) Old dirty transmission fluid will start to come out. Keep topping up the fluid till the fluid turns to the colour of new transmission fluid.

(iv) Stop engine, check transmission fluid level and top up if necessary.

(v) Check level again after driving for a few miles and then once again before a cold start. Top up if necessary.

DO NOT USE ANY AFTERMARKET FLUSHING MECHANISMS AND ALWAYS USE THE RECOMMENDED NISSAN METHOD. IT IS CHEAP, SAFE AND EFFECTIVE.

6) Do a drain and fill on the front and rear differentials. Redline has a high viscosity product that maybe used if you want additional protection. It provides thicker viscosity like property while still maintaining low friction. You should look it up on their website. However, Royal Purple or Nissan OEM fluids will do just fine.

7) Once this is done, test drive the car.

If you still feel that the transmission is not behaving as it should, then unfortunately, you might need to take it in for a rebuild.

Regarding other posts on the permanent fix for this, I disagree completely. CHANGING THE RADIATOR IS ONLY A TEMPORARY FIX. If you want a permanent fix, you need to change the OEM radiator for an aftermarket one and BYPASS THE RADIATOR. Bypassing the radiator can be done in two ways:

1) You can disconnect the line going from the OEM transmission cooler to the radiator and connect it directly back to the transmission.

2) Install an external transmission cooler and then plug the lines that are supposed to go to the Radiator into the cooler.

If you do the above, no matter what happens to the radiator, your transmission will be protected. Good luck and hopefully you will install a $70 external transmission cooler and be done with it. :)

Dear blackArmada_DXB,

I understand what you said and i don't mind you asking me so many questions as you intend to help as precisely as possible in a meaningful way, than others. It seems you have very good technical knowledge on Cars and Nissan as such. Its really nice to have person like you present who can help discussing the problems.

Actually when this problem started i was away and my wife was occasionally driving the car. On my return i did exactly what you said and drove the car to my mechanic and made sure all the fluids, oil, coolant and everything is topped up and in good health. My mechanic advise me that it looks like transmission is getting bad, only alternate is to rebuild it (close to 3k) or buy used one at same price of 2.5k to 3.5k dirhams.

May be i should get the whole transmission oil flush with Royal Purple Max ATF as you advised and see if it helps, before diving in for rebuild or refurbish transmission. Any idea where i can buy this Royal Purple Max ATF in Dubai?

Thanks for wonderful explanation and all the help.