•  
Advertise here

Dissatisfied consumer

This post is for all the Nissan fans on this site. I have a 2009 Nissan Xterra with around 23000 miles on it and am in the process of having the second clutch put in as the first one wore out at 8000 miles. There was no fluid leakage detected upon visual inspection and I certainly do not drive like a maniac so I am really at a loss. The bottom line is that Nissan sucks. The steering column started having issues within months of our purchase. I want to get rid of this vehicle and buy a Jeep. Nissan is off my list forever. Once bitten twice shy.

No offence mate, but clutch burning is totally due to bad or illiterate driving style and nothing to do with Nissan. If you don't know how to ride manual you can successfully burn clutch in one day by revving car in half clutch most of the times.

I am not saying that you don't know manual driving, but majorly clutch has good life if not treated like i mentioned above. Secondly you said mileage in miles, so is ur car US specs and you are putting gcc specs parts might creating the problem. I know i might be over thinking but just giving you some heads up to look for the real problem in right direction, than just ranting Nissan.

• 3 weeks later...

Clutch plates tend to need replacing often here in the UAE, this is to the extreme temperatures, road conditions and traffic. Also, alot of people I have known, tend to make the mistake of taking their vehicles off-road after a long drive. In fact a friend of mine replaced the clutch 3 times in his '09 wrangler, each time it was a heavy duty unit from MOPAR.

As for the steering column, this can be related to three factors. First is the road conditions and potholes we face while coming into or out of a corner (Ittihad Road Just Before the Underpass to Garhoud Bridge). Second, the number of speed bumps we go over effects the joints and chasis badily as SUV's tend to shake more, especially if we take the 'humps' at higher speed. Third and final, SUV's in general require higher maintenance when it comes to tyre rotation, balancing and alignment.

I also beleive your car is american because, generally Xterra is not avaialble in manual here in the UAE unless ordered, or atleast it wasnt when I purchased my '08.

Or it could be just your bad luck you got the 1 in so many that has an issue. Not all cars come out perfect, some tend to have issues. Remember the chevy lumina ss in '11 was in recall because of elect. issues.

The problem is not with the vehicle itself. Unfortunately, the dealers in UAE are understaffed and under time pressure to finish the service and repairs quickly. They tend to overlook some minor details that require work and can be a potential issue in the future. The issue is not just with Nissan. It is also with Toyotas. The huge volume of vehicles and their service time is causing a degradation in service quality. Just buy a brand new vehicle(doesn't matter which one as all vehicles have their issue) and replace it when its warranty runs out. Thats what I have been doing and thats the only way to ensure hassle free ownership.

Heat is a killer, but trust me, there are other parts of the world that are hotter than Dubai. Saudia Arabia, certain places in US etc. etc. So, blaming the heat for everything is kind of a cliche and just points to the inefficiency of the Technical Advisor.

I agree with blackArmada, I have seen something very similar in my Land Cruiser with Al futtaim guys that they didnt check the differential oil in many of the services and due to very minute and unnoticeable leak diff grinded and i have to bear 4200 repair for negligence. Stitch in time saves nine, so one should be little qualified about cars as well and ready to check car all around ocassionally at least once in 6 months to have close feel of wear and tear, leaks, fading etc.

Once you start going under your car at fuel station service bay, you will start understanding what's going around and how well your car is keeping with ongoing stress in such extreme weather condition. With this exercise you will also appreciate and respect your car more and be aware of any upcoming expenses. Guys at fuel station is not very good mechanics but they are general all rounder types to cater to all brands oil change and they can rightly advise you with little free advise on minute leaks or vibration issue that you can study and monitor further. That's what i am doing now since two years in both of my cars.

Yes. That's correct. Check your own fluid levels. Insist on receiPts and paper work citing all repair and maintenance done. Get consumer affairs involved in issues you deem unfair. Only you and I together can change the way these vehicles are serviced. Also keep an eye out for the new website launched by UAE government: recall.ae. If you feel that your car has a very serious issue that needs to be recalled, write to the website and make sure it is heard. Legal course is the only way to get things done in Dubai.

• 4 weeks later...

Dragonheart

My '06 Xterra was delivered brand new in early '07. The first clutch gave out in less than ten thousand. The dealership repaired/replaced it as it was under warranty and they agreed that it was a bad part or maybe even a design flaw. Then at twenty seven thousand and four months out of warranty, it happened again. The clutch just would not engage. Had it towed to the dealership to find out, rather surprisingly, that they need to replace the clutch again. Hence, in less than thirty thousand, I had the clutch replaced twice. Who would say that this is not a quality control/standards inspection issue?? There is no way that I could have gotten Nissan to pay for it since it was out of warranty.

I second you as far as never buying a Nissan again is concerned. I know how you feel. Having said that, I totally disagree with the people who are quick to bash the driver/owner as soon as there is an issue like this. Some people just want to play the devil's advocate all the time. How can you judge another person's driving when you have never seen them drive?