•  
Advertise here

change Brake fluid

mohan

Hi guys, I am a Z4 owner and want to look into how to change the brake fliud since its due soon as I was told that it should be changed every 24 months as per the manual. I want to know the process regardless if i do it myself or have it done. Thanks.

Not only do you have to fill up the brake fluid reservoir but you will have to work with the tires, bleeder valve and the entire brake system. The vehicle will have to be lifted and rested at a height on like jack stands. Cant do it yourself. You will have to talk to a mechanic. Nonetheless it is easy at their facility and you can have it done in an hour.

Well, changing brake fluid is a job of 2 mechanic or person. One require to bleed the brake fluid and other need to constantly keep pouring the brake fluid in brake fluid canister so that no air enter into the system.

It is required to lift car on safe jack stand and keep all four wheels off the ground. Remove all 4 tires and access the bleeder valve behind the brake caliper. Loosen the bleeder valve and attach a hose to drain the old brake fluid into some waste bottle (preferable see through bottle that can show the progress). Ask second person to put constant pressure on brake and you will notice the fluid started to drain out. Once its completely out, fill the new brake fluid in engine bay brake fluid canister and and repeat the same drain procedure until you see the fresh clear brake fluid started coming out of the bleeder valve hose line into waste bottle.

Once done, lock the bleeder valve tightly and install the tire and do same for rest of the wheels. Keep draining until you see fresh fluid and keep adding brake fluid until brake becomes harder back like before, if brakes are spongy then do couple of pump until it becomes hard like before and then top up the fluid back in.