•  
Advertise here

Common 207 GTi (RC), GT problems

I've decided to post this as I find it absolutely ridiculous that Peugeot does not even seem to be AWARE of some of these problems.

I recently encountered a problem on my 2009 207 RC LeMans and after gathering A LOT of info and talking to people who are VERY knowledgeable about the 207 I had narrowed down the problem. I will discuss this issue as well. But when I spoke to Peugeot, I could see that the service manager had no idea about this problem, and I had to actually explain to him how this part works. Now, unfortunately for Peugeot, they have a long running issue; they sometimes produce and sell EXCELLENT products, but their after-sales-service is really not what it should be. Nor are they willing to listen to the customers and pass on the info given. I will discuss this more further on.

Pretty much any Peugeot driver will, at some point or another, be plagued by the "Depollution Error" fault. Now, logic would tell us that this has something to do with some sort of pollution error. However, this is quite a generic fault and can include many issues NOT related to some kind of pollution issue. Often, when this error is produced the car will switch to "limp mode" in which case it opens up the wastegate and no turbo pressure is sent to the intake.

Common problems which will cause this:

1. The blow-off valve (or diverter valve) is manufactured to withstand 1 bar (14 psi) of pressure. On a stock setup this is the pressure that the turbo supplies. However, the blow-off valve still fails. Inside it has a rubber membrane which at some point will tear. The problem is, if you take the car to Peugeot they will want to replace the ENTIRE turbo unit. If your car is out of its warranty period this can cost you up to AED. 10 000, and will take 3 weeks to ship from France. This is NOT necessary. The company that makes the blow-off valve is called Piersburg, and they make blow off valves for VAG (Volkwagen Audi Group) and these blow-off valves can be found in a range of VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat models. The blow-off valve in the VAG cars are manufactured to withstand pressure of up to 2 bar (28 psi) which makes it perfect for the 207's problem. Now the entire VAG unit will not fit on the 207, but all we need are the internals. So, all you need to do is to go to VW and purchase the blow-off valve, which will cost around AED.400. Then you just have to swap out the VAG unit's internals with that of the Peugeot's.

2. This is the problem I had recently. There is another valve called a "Depollution Canister Valve". The purpose of this valve is to control the burning of petrol fumes. Because petrol is a volatile substance, this means that it will evaporate easily. What this means to us is that there will be some sort of pressure building up in the fuel tank. To release this pressure, a valve is fitted on the intake manifold pipe. however, this valve only opens when cruising; i.e when turbo boost is not needed. But, when turbo boost is produced, this valve needs to close. Failure to do so will mean that the turbo boost will be sent to the fuel tank and not reach the intake side of the engine. When this happens the computer will automatically read this as a problem with the turbo. These valves sometimes do become a bit dirty resulting in the valve's piston becoming stuck. Unfortunately, there is no way of testing this valve and so we can only figure out whether or not this part is fault by replacing it. Again, Peugeot does not seem to be aware of this and so will want to replace the entire turbo unit. Instead this part can be purchased for AED.155 . In other cases, this valve can be reset by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes IMMEDIATELY after switching the car off. But if he valve is really stuck, this will not fix the issue.

3. Yet another valve can cause major problems. The Boost control valve sometimes also stops working, which will cause excessive boost, or no boost at all. Replacing this part is also far, FAR cheaper than replacing the entire turbo unit

4. The car's computer controls the actuator, and the actuator control the wastegate. Sometimes, the nuts holding the actuator's arm in place comes loose, resulting in a fully opened wastegate, meaning no boost will be produced. Solution, tighten the nuts; or, if they are missing, simply purchase new nuts and tighten the arm

Please note, this info applies for all the Prince THP engines (i.e the 1.6 turbos found in the 207, 308 and RCZ)

Also, if the "Depollution Error" is produced, you can clear this fault by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes IMMEDIATELY after switching the car off. If the error returns then we know that some action needs to be taken

If anyone want more info about this or would like details on replacing the parts mentioned, and/or part numbers please don't hesitate to contact me. If you have any other questions I will try my best to help out

To Peugeot: PLEASE start getting your act together. As a company you have had a bad after-sales service reputation for very long, and it is because of this that many people are told NOT to buy Peugeot cars. A very important thing to remember for ALL businesses is that it's easier to keep a customer than to make a new one. If so many people are having issues with your after-sales service then it really is saying something; and those customers will only be eager to pass on the info to others.

Also, it is unacceptable that in the event of major parts such as a turbo kit having to be replace that you do not have any of these units in stock. You should, AT THE VERY LEAST, keep 2 or 3 of such major components in stock. That way, customers would not have the added frustration of having to wait to have their car repaired.

My reason for this post is to inform both customers and Peugeot of problems and possible solutions; and to give you as a company issues from my perspective as a customer. If you simply pay attention to this info you will start having a much better service record and will save both the customers and yourself huge amounts of time and money.

ADAPT Performance - Power Unleashed

SOFTWARE TUNING & PERFORMANCE PARTS

www.adaptperformance.com

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
very well said brother, but one thing i would like to ask you is, where did you get all this information from? coz i have 307sw, 206cc and planning to a 207 full option

ive gathered all this info from personal experience, reading up and talking to people who have had these problems

www.adaptperformance.com

I was thinking of buying 207 for my wife, but now i really have to think twice.

Thanks a lot 207_GTI.

please note that this only applies for the 207 with the 1.6 turbo engine. however, i would still recommend someone to buy this car. yes it gives problems, but it still puts a smile on my face every time i drive it

www.adaptperformance.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

HI! I'm from Slowenia, and here trust me the mechanic at peugeot dealer are jung and unexperienced or old and very stupid :/ And also in the whole state we have only 10 207 rc and gti :) and I'm one of them. I have problems with my RC and mechanics doesn't know any idea what is wrong with car.

I have 69k km on my odo.

I got the faumous depullution faulty system on my display and I went to the peugeot dealer just to erase the fault. But next day is the same story depullution faulty system is shown again. The faults are wrong pressure of turbo and wrong pressure of fuel pump.

what could be wrong here. The turbocharger has only 20k km. I think that is that blow off switch. From which vw model exatly are these blow offs who have the same components?

what could be wrong with the fuel pump?

Thanks