•  
Advertise here

toyota yaris is overheating?

nicotin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...

@BERTZSKIE - your query on a very old post but let me try to answer you. The short answer is no.

Thermostat plays an important role in the car engine by regulating the engine temperatures. Initially when a car is started: it helps the engine to heat up quickly so that the engine can run efficiently at optimum temperature and then it also helps to cool it down when the engine is running by regulating the coolant flow though the engine block. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

2 hours ago, Looper said:

@BERTZSKIE - your query on a very old post but let me try to answer you. The short answer is no.

Thermostat plays an important role in the car engine by regulating the engine temperatures. Initially when a car is started: it helps the engine to heat up quickly so that the engine can run efficiently at optimum temperature and then it also helps to cool it down when the engine is running by regulating the coolant flow though the engine block. 

@LooperBhai, My car is running without a thermostat for 2 years :) 

42 minutes ago, Krishna R said:

@LooperBhai, My car is running without a thermostat for 2 years :) 

Still, it's not advisable.

While changing my radiator mechanical fan to an electric fan for a bigger radiator, I had a detailed discussion with few US experts. All said the same for stock (non-racing cars) thermostat is essential.

For professional racing cars, they do remove the thermostat as the engine is managed by another more advanced controller which controls the engine jacket temperature based on several data points and open/close valves for optimum performance. But still, coolant gets separated and locked in the radiator for effective cooling, and coolant does get locked in the engine jacket for maximum heat absorption.

The bottom line is the coolant that is free-flowing neither gets properly cooled nor absorbs the maximum heat of the engine.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.